New Post Advanced Search

Bought items for Ex Partner - now refusing to pay

8 replies 978 views
njh7njh7 Forumite
5 posts
First Anniversary First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, 
I used my credit card some weeks ago to pay for a few bits, Bed, Matress, Fridge for my ex partner moving out and into her new place. With the deal that she was going to pay me monthly. She's moved out and gone back on her word, what are my rights? Everything has been delivered. 

Thanks, 

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evidence? Text messages? Witnesses?
  • njh7njh7 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Comms69 said:
    Evidence? Text messages? Witnesses?
    Text messages yes, she said she would pay and now gone back on her word. Pretty much blackmail threatening to send screenshots to my family. 
    I have the order receipt for one item i think. 
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshots of what? - If it's intimate things, that's a criminal offence and you should report to the police. Even if it's not intimate, it could still cross the line into other criminal matters.

You would sue via small claims court. Ideally your credit card statement will be sufficient to show the amount paid.
  • burner01burner01 Forumite
    38 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    She’s threatened to take photos of the new fridge/bed/mattress and send them to your family. The shame!
  • FireflyawayFireflyaway Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Write to her by recorded delivery, detail what the items are, how much they cost and ask for payment. Keep it calm. If you don't hear anything within a reasonable time period then you could make a claim via court but there is a fee to do it. 
    https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

• MrsnMrsn Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Small claims court but to be honest without much evidence or even receipts for the items you will struggle.

Also they are currently on hold with hearings at the moment, once they resume there is going to be a huge backlog in cases so you are realistically looking 6-12 months for a resolution that way. How much are we talking that you’ve spent?
  • SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Irrespective of whether it will take 6-12 months in small claims court, I would still sue to teach her a lesson.  Failure to do so, will allow her to think that she can continue and do this to someone else.
    Do you have a copy of the order with her address on it and how it's paid?
    Print out the text messages etc and keep them along with all the receipts - if you do not have all of them - I am sure when they open up the stores show be able to give you a duplicate copy.
    Do exactly as Fireflyaway suggested.  Give her 14 days to get back in touch on when to expect payment.  After that take her to court and do not  let any dissuade you otherwise.
    Inform your family of what your ex have done and how she has reneged on the promise to repay you.  That way you have gotten to them first.  I would also copy everything and send it to her parents alerting them to the fact that she have reneged on the promise to repay you and you are in the process of taking her to court for failure to repay.
    I cannot stand bullies and your ex is most definitely one.  Good luck.
  • pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Write to her by recorded delivery, detail what the items are, how much they cost and ask for payment. Keep it calm. If you don't hear anything within a reasonable time period then you could make a claim via court but there is a fee to do it. 
    https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

This needs to be done as a letter before action, so that she knows she is going to be sued if she doesn't pay up.