New Post Advanced Search

Let's talk toothpaste

8 replies 334 views
Hi again everyone, apologize for these topics but in these times of isolation, it good to have some different things to talk about

So I want come to toothpaste, As the market grown so much with all kinds of toothpastes, Let's talk about how we have nature toothpaste and normal types. 
These natural toothpaste are they actually extract from nature or just artificial ingredients ? Could they get away with shipping to stores with misleading claims ?
Since fluoride toothpaste is backed with proof, would naturally made toothpaste be as effective? Since not everyone can use fluoride due to medical or other reasons

Replies

• brook2jack2brook2jack2 Forumite
    135 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    there is there is absolutely no medical reason why someone cannot use fluoride toothpaste . None . 
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fluoride is really the only worthwhile thing in toothpaste. 

It should have at least 1250ppm fluoride in it and 1450ppm is the maximum an 'off the shelf' toothpaste can have. On prescription, people with high risk of decay can get 2800ppm, or 5200 ppm. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get my free 2800ppm toothpaste from my dentist
  • BiilBiil Forumite
    81 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks for the reply, there may not be loads but some very few people can't seems do well with high amounts of fluoride,  I now at one point fluoride never used fit well with me but my dentist was helpful to get me past it but, there are lot toothpaste that have other crappy stuff that doesn't sit well with the mouth e.g SLS.

I won't deny that fluoride is important but I do think that there's decent alternative out there to replace it, Because some research has proven "Some natural remedies" play a role 
    Plus water used have fluoride in it, not sure about these days.

• Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1K posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Some Sensodyne variants don't contain SLS (or SLES, or even cocamidopropyl betaine which can be quite harsh) and my gums are much happier since I inadvertently made the switch - I started using it because some bashed boxes were on the reduced section, then once I realised my gums felt better I read the ingredients and discovered that was a major difference. Also minimised sensitivity, which is helpful!
  • ApolloniaApollonia Forumite
    402 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Biil said:
    I won't deny that fluoride is important but I do think that there's decent alternative out there to replace it, Because some research has proven "Some natural remedies" play a role
    What do you think 'natural' means? What 'decent alternative' could replace fluoride?

Fluoride is a naturally occurring element. Fluoride ions occur on earth in several minerals, and is naturally present at low concentration in most fresh and saltwater sources. Worldwide, 50 million people receive water from water supplies that naturally have close to the "optimal level".
    In addition, it can be found in rain water that washes fluoride-containing particulates from the atmosphere. All vegetation contains some fluoride, which is absorbed from soil and water. Some plants concentrate fluoride from their environment more than others. All tea leaves contain fluoride, mature leaves contain as much as 10 to 20 times the fluoride levels of young leaves from the same plant.

• GersGers Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biil said:

Need more facts here rather than broad stroke statements -
    What decent alternative?
    What research?
    What natural remedies?

As above, flouride is natural.

If you have nine minutes to spare then watch /listen to Tim Minchin's tone poem about natural remedies.

• BiilBiil Forumite
    81 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Sorry I think I might of ranted on without realizing I probably not making sense along the way. 
    Am not saying fluoride is unnatural, My first point was that I find it unease how Many Brands or company there are that do toothpaste ( I guess being in lockdown am doing more thinking and wondering than usual) but at same time I remember watching a program on TV that went under look on how some company were lying about what quantity of fluoride is in there product and Fluoride wasn't actually being used even though it was stated in the ingredients ( I guess I thought due to current climate, some company may cut corners ) 
    2nd Most if not all toothpaste have Ingredients that aren't actually good for the mouth or some e.g SLS , Sweetener etc there plenty of studies , article to cover this 

3rd - When I say other alternatives am referring too, either a toothpaste with more natural resources plus fluoride or without it, ( again am not saying fluoride is unnatural) E.g aloe Vera is good for soothing gums as one example and I think it was 2010 research or 8 ? That finally confirmed it had benefits ( even company like Colgate , oral b etc back up the claims for Coconut , Tea tree etc by providing links to studies n so forth)
    Lastly there may be minium studies for some but Nothing 100 % indicates Natural remedy don't work. 

On side note - if Toothpastes need fluoride or if no solid proof indicates X natural paste actually works ( then how does Holland Barret get toothpastes that states These are Completely natural or organic and Sells toothpaste that claim to do things. I get with aloa Vera and tea tree ( since there anti inflammatory/ bacterial but toothpaste with lemon or Sage inside and saying it can battle X y z ? 

Apologies again , It just the thought how A gets to Z as the final product ( is there enough loop holes for Unsafe toothpastes to make it to stores )  

Guess at same time , I like to be educated by people 😊