CouncilTax SMI reduction Form

New Post Advanced Search

CouncilTax SMI reduction Form

6 replies 180 views
ModernMANModernMAN Forumite
6 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
my neighbour is bipolar, I think also suffers from PTSD or depression. She has been on MentalHealthRegister for 10-12 years (since 2006 approxProbably), but doesn't have  the 3SeriousMental-illnesses ie Official 3ones(Dementia, etc).  (South)BucksCouncil say they can't email LINKs for FORMs  to download so that she, or her wife (nice too; I like the2ladies), could download to apply for MentalHealth Discount or Reduction-fee, under SeriousMental-Impairment (S.M.I.) or other "mental" CouncilTax  scheme. I don't know who pays CouncilTax, if she herself or her wife (who is her carer), pays C.T. bill.  Can you readers/Posters  reply with ACTUAL LINKs  for downloading  This/these SpecificFORMs  for  (South)BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNCIL . cheers

Replies

• edited 24 May at 3:18PM
    poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 May at 3:18PM
    It's called severally mentally impaired (SMI). Part of the criteria for this is that a registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed you as severely mentally impaired. In some cases you'll need to attach a written diagnosis to your claim – in others you just give your doctor's details and they'll be contacted for confirmation. GPs are not allowed to charge you for this certification.

Having PTSD and bipolar doesn't mean you're severally mentally impaired.

• ModernMANModernMAN Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    thx Poppy.  I don't want to request  her/their  paperwork to ruffle through or press for more info. However, I've found out by accident that she is indeed on Menatl Health Register (whatever/whereever   that is )   she gets PPI benefit  or PIP ?   Enhanced something or  another,  and ESa.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Claiming PIP doesn't mean they are severely mentally impaired, this means they have a disability that affects their daily life. I claim both of those benefits but i'm definitely not severely mentally impaired.
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
     There isn't a mental health register 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    ModernMAN said:
    thx Poppy.  I don't want to request  her/their  paperwork to ruffle through or press for more info. However, I've found out by accident that she is indeed on Menatl Health Register (whatever/whereever   that is )   she gets PPI benefit  or PIP ?   Enhanced something or  another,  and ESa.
    It's good that you are trying to help, but for all sorts of benefits accurate and specific information is required. The only way to help without finding out personal information is pointing them to the right place so they can either find out if they might qualify and/or apply themselves. I guess that may have been what your original question was - links to download the forms - but as that information is not forthcoming, there is not much more you can do.

Incidentally South Bucks on various pages gives an e-mail address and phone number for contacting the Council Tax Office. I'm not sure why you haven't found that in your own Googling.
  • Mrs_ArcanumMrs_Arcanum Forumite
    24K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SMI forms are usually sent from the council tax department on request. South Bucks have one of the least helpful sites for claiming. All I can suggest is that you e-mail them using the e-mail address given. If the claim is accepted, they may only get a partial reduction in council tax. With funds being tight, many councils have cut reductions due to SMI.

Good luck.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits