New Post Advanced Search

Moving home

2 replies 61 views
TonilfoxTonilfox Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
What do I do with my cat when I home swap?
She is 6 and has always lived in the house I'm in now. I'm really worried about moving and her running away. We are so swapping so I haven't really got time to settle her in before we move in as will have to exchange on the same day and time I also have 3 kids and dog to think about. What do you suggest? 

Replies

• hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I have moved house (several times), I get one room empty and keep the cat(s), some water, food, litter tray and carriers in there. They then travel with me in the car to the new place (stopping to collect keys en route). I then shut all of the above into the smallest room and make sure nobody opens it. Keep yours in its carrier for a bit longer if it's risky someone might open the door.

Alternatively, can you leave her with someone for a couple of nights or put her in a cattery?
    2020 wins: nada (yet)
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure both your animals are contained somewhere safe first thing in the morning. I put my dogs in kennels for the day- they went in first  thing and I  collected them at teatime. 
     If you are worried  about after the move, my son  kept his cats in for 24 hours- any longer would have led to mayhem- and made sure they were hungry when they went out so they would  home for food.
    The first time the cats  went out they stayed in the  garden but soon were exploring their new habitat.