New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Pension/debt

1 reply 136 views
Hi,
Just before i had my DS I opted out of pension scheme  as meant longer mat leave.  We now have nursery  fees bigger than mortgage!  I was going to wait until 30 free hours kick in to opt back in.

However there is an option to pay 50% contributions (it's LGPS so highly  contributed  too by employer) which I could now afford 

Or 
I could  use money to pay  off credit card (currently  0%)  would only pay half off by end of current deal making the payments I am now. 

Would you pay into pension or pay more into credit card  debt?

Replies

• planteriaplanteria Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you mean that by the end of the 0% deal on the credit card you will only be able to clear half of the balance i would prioritise getting as much money together as possible to pay more/all of that balance, ahead of making pension contributions.
    if you could save that money and generate some interest between now and the deal ending, great. but you could just allocate more funds to the card debt now if you want to be sure that the debt comes down as far as possible before the costly interest kicks in.