Redundancy whilst furloughed - Notice period and new job

Options
I have been given redundancy notice and my final date of employment is end of June - I have been furloughed since end March and my redundancy letter states that I will not be required to attend work before the termination date.
I have an opportunity for some temporary work but it would start early June - can I take the job?  My current employer says that if I leave before then, I am effectively leaving my job and notice pay would cease.  
I understand that you can work another job whilst on furlough, provided you can attend your normal job when your employer requires.  So can I work another job whilst on redundancy notice (notice pay is furlough 80% plus 20% from employer). Please advise.
Thank you

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can only work a second job if your employer agrees. Which by the sounds of it they do not.
  • claws20
    claws20 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    But would how would they know?
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They probably would not if you do not tell them.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    (a)  Did you tell them you had been offered a job?
    (b)  Did you use your current employer as a referee?
    If the answer to (a) is yes, then expect them to be checking your availability during your notice period.
    If the answer to (b) is yes, they could contact your potential new employer to check.
    Is the temp job somewhere where they would wait for you to complete your notice period?
    How much would you lose in redundancy money compared with what you should be expected to earn in the temp job?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback