We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Where to get PROPER slug pellets? (Metaldehyde-based)

Options
cubegame
cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Does anyone know where one can get proper slug pellets from now (since the ban was lifted)?
The ferric phosphate ones simply don't work.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 May 2020 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Forward Planning.com was where I went when  the ban was announced. Definitely a top shelf item now, though still available at eye watering prices on eBay. There might also be a hiccup in the supply due to Covid, as the commercial suppliers are low on many chemical stocks at present.
    I use the ferric ones that don't work in the polytunnel. I say they don't work because they disappear and I wonder if rodents are enjoying them. If they aren't, something is.
    I'm not sure what happens next. Potato growers used a huge proportion of the metaldehyde pellets and I can't see pricey spuds going down well with the public. Maybe it'll be on, off, on, off like Asulox for bracken, which is the sort of thing that happens when government guys in grey suits make farming decisions. (see my sig!)

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As I said, "available at eye watering prices on eBay"
    Hardly difficult to find, but should we be giving such rotten value promotion here? They aren't even regular strength.
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I know it is for hostas but it may do the job you want.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Didn't even know they'd been banned until I tried to buy some more.
    What I have used for small precious areas is sheeps wool pellets. They worked very well. Managed to get some on offer so not quite so damaging on my purse.
    Just started experimenting with coffee grounds and that seems to have done the trick. I tip them into a flat dish and dry them in the sun. Then storing them in a jamjar. Plants stopped getting eaten. Found a snail shocked into caffine overdose. What it will do to my runner beans I don;t know but they're growing well!
    Don't use them with tomatoes. Check before trying this which plants will tollerate them. Quite a few are ok.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport