Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Why never any eggs in Morrisons deliveries?

New Post Advanced Search

Why never any eggs in Morrisons deliveries?

22 replies 882 views
Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
756 posts
Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭
Anybody know why Tesco always seem to have a choice of eggs available for home delivery but Morrisons haven't had any at all for the last month?  Are they saving what they have to sell in the stores, or is this just a regional thing?
A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile

Replies

• tehonetehone Forumite
    476 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    They don't have a vast choice of eggs in my Morrison's online shopping, but I expect its a regional thing - my shop is picked direct from the local store, so the later in the day I get my delivery the more likely they are to have run out of something (as they only pick your shop about an hour before delivery - this also seems to have the advantage that substitutions are generally more sensible, although there is at least one thing I order every time that I never get - partly because I never saw it in store before anyway, but the web site lets me choose it). In other areas the picking is done in a distribution centre often much earlier as there are set routes for the drivers to do.
  • nannywindownannywindow Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't get any eggs online from anywhere, but my SiL picked me up 12 from Morrisons shop. He also said they always had lots in there every week. The same goes with their fruit as only bananas were available online last week, yet he said the store was full of all sorts of fruit. I'm wondering if they pick the online orders from the warehouse and not the store, hence the unavailable items which maybe sent straight to store.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tesco appear to have a wide selection online for delivery BUT my order delivered yesterday (& last updated late Tuesday) substituted '15 Fresh mixed size' for the 12 Large Free Range I'd ordered. I'm not complaining! just saying appearances can be deceptive.
  • Steve_LSteve_L Forumite
    337 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Morrisons are "managing demand", ie. artificially limiting what you can buy online? Tesco appear to "play with a straight bat".
    "Life is much/far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." Oscar Wilde, in "Vera; or, The Nihilists” (much), then "Lady Windermere's Fan" (far).

• Si_ClistSi_Clist Forumite
    756 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Steve_L said:
    Morrisons are "managing demand", ie. artificially limiting what you can buy online? Tesco appear to "play with a straight bat".
    Since when?  Aren't Tesco still limiting us to 3 of each item?

A positive attitude might not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    At my local Asda it is either eggs everywhere, range of sizes or just a few boxes in one size. 

Out of 4 weekly trips they've only been plentiful once.
  • BacmanBacman Forumite
    247 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Tesco Express seems to have good egg stocks.
  • MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    327 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    According to the trade magazine The Grocer, whose tweets I read, Lidl is importing eggs from The Netherlands. Abel & Cole hasn't had eggs since March. ASDA had eggs when husband was in store this week. Not had any in Morrisons deliveries, did get from Waitrose. 
  • edited 31 May at 3:08PM
    Steve_LSteve_L Forumite
    337 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 31 May at 3:08PM
    Si_Clist said:
    Steve_L said:
    Since when?  Aren't Tesco still limiting us to 3 of each item?

Managing demand is showing certain items as being "out of stock" or "unavailable" online, despite them actually being in the warehouse and/or on the shelves. Having worked in retail, I fear that this may be to make customers buy more expensive & higher profit margin options, maybe to compensate for lower "footfall" during lockdown.
    It's like gong into an old-fashioned shop, and the shopkeeper (who doesn't have to have a Yorkshire accent & a stutter) asks you what you want, you tell him and he gets some of this from under the counter. You don't get to see the cheap, low profit margin items that are still under there. 
    Only limiting customers to a certain number of tems is limiting supply.
    "Life is much/far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." Oscar Wilde, in "Vera; or, The Nihilists” (much), then "Lady Windermere's Fan" (far).

• edited 4 June at 11:39AM
    nannywindownannywindow Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited 4 June at 11:39AM
    Absolutely Steve L. I have had branded goods delivered in every shop since lockdown. Even when I ordered cheaper goods, they were OOS by the time my delivery arrived and replaced by the dearer ones. Only Tes*o will charge you the price of the item ordered and I haven't been able to get a slot with them at all. My shopping budget has gone up and up and IMO the sm's are getting richer and richer because they know we are in between a rock and a hard place.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently