We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

x

frugalisticchic
frugalisticchic Posts: 15 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 21 May 2021 at 4:23PM in Gardening
deleted content
Addicted to saving money :j (or just tight)

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I appreciate that you have a thoughtless neighbour, but raising the soil to 0.3m is permitted, so even getting the neighbour to reduce it may not solve the problem.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You are correct, the fence won't last more than a few years with the soil against it (at best).  Whose fence is it?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Grenage said:
      Whose fence is it?
    "....their soil is just resting on our shared fence."
    Shared makes it more tricky, but raising the fence, if that's possible, would be sensible.

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm guessing that raising the fence might make yours more shady?
    And fencing issues with neighbours is a nightmare. You could be defensive and put up gravelboards and post reinforcement so that their garden didn't fall in on yours but that won't stop the rotting and is unfair when it's their problem.
    I'm curious, did they import soil to level the garden? I leveled the top half and used the soil below the slope to level mine more.
    Putting your worries in a polite letter (keep a copy with date) and making the point that it is a shared fence and damage would mean both of you having to pay. They may reply or they may not. Putting it in writing is one of the things you would be asked to do before taking any action so that you have been shown to make an effort to resolve this.
    If they reply verbaly repeat to them what they say 'So you are saying that...............' and write it down word for word with the time and date again so that you have proof.
    Have you tried contacting Citizens Advice Bureau? They have a wealth of information on all sorts. You'd probably have to work by email at the moment. Not sure the council can do anything though they may give you advice on who to contact.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,109 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    @twopenny writing a note is passive aggressive and the quickest way to pee off the neighbour. You've just moved in, you don't want your next thread to be about nightmare neighbours.

OP go have a proper chat with them, find a solution together, price up gravel boards, concrete posts etc in readiness for the chat.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 6,302 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MF not a note but a letter will be the first thing asked to do before involving the authorities like the Council which the OP mentioned.
    "Communications with the neighbours have reached and impasse and I believe if it's not challenged now with the council"
    Mind it doesn't sound like a letter or a chat would make this neighbour think logically or considerately if they've stacked soil against a wooden fence.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,562 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    my neighbour has raised their garden in order to level it.
    there's no retaining wall either so their soil is just resting on our shared fence.
    Here's someone who had the same problem -
    There's some suggestions to make to your neighbour.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 346.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 238.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 613.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.7K Life & Family
  • 251.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.