We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

To paint or not, wooden garden furniture

Options
twopenny
twopenny Posts: 5,933 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
edited 19 May 2020 at 7:10PM in Gardening
Apologies if this is the wrong forum but nothing came up in a search and it seemed the most likely place to get this advice.
I have an old, much loved wooden bench that I painted with waterbased garden furniture varnish. Looked good for 3 yrs with a top up. The wet however seems to have got under the varnish, and mould in places under the varnish. It's now all scraped cleanish and the wood is fine.
I'm wondering if garden/fence coloured paint will give the same problem. I've seen verdigris on painted fences and my painted compost heap. That was easily dealt with.
So would I get the verdigris under this garden paint on a hardwood bench? Or should I oil it? Or should I leave the bare wood which is now hardened and bleached?

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a matter of your personal taste i suppose. For me..wood needs to breathe and move which is why painted wood cracks. People think paint protects the wood but all it does is harbour dampness which creates rot. 
    Natural bleached grey, with a coat of oil once a year is my favourite. Spray with sodium percarbonate in spring to kill the green tinge after winter. 
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm with the above suggestion of oil. 
    Teak oil turns it dark, danish oil needs doing twice a year, linseed oil worries me because it can irritate the eyes and vegetable oil takes a while to dry in. 
    But they are all good..._
  • Justagardener
    Options

I'm with the above suggestion of oil. 
    Teak oil turns it dark, danish oil needs doing twice a year, linseed oil worries me because it can irritate the eyes and vegetable oil takes a while to dry in. 
    My chopping board gets olive oil guessing that would get expensive on a bench :)
  • Ted_Head
    Ted_Head Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Tung oil will give a great finish.
  • Justagardener
    edited 19 May 2020 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Tung oil

Nice suggestion

• Ted_Head
    Ted_Head Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to do several layers - build it up.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts and experience. Yes, I like natural and the pale bleached wood, did look good in my previous large  garden.
    I was considering painting because now I have a very small garden and  I was thinking a purple slate grey to make it less dominant  Struggling to keep the focus in it right
    I think I'll leave it be for now and see how it goes but the detail here is something I couldn't find elsewhere so very grateful.
    NB Just a gardener, you can use olive oil on the black sort of car door handles and mirrors that have gone grey. Brings them up like new :)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.6K Travel & Transport