M.A. funding bursaries information please

Hello everyone,
Our son is about to  graduate in English from Cambridge University and has won a place at The Royal Academy of Music in September 2020 to do an M.A. in Musical Theatre. Currently he is unable to meet the cost of the course or his living fees in London. The course costs £16,100  and he is able to apply for a maintenance loan of £11,222 so he currently has a shortfall of £4878 to pay for the course fees. The current average living costs for a student in London for a year are £12,000. My husband and I work as a priest and part time primary school teacher so the amount of financial help we can give him is limited. Our son has been in many musical theatre productions at uni, including the Edinburgh Fringe twice, where the later show won a "Derek" award for the Best Musical at the Fringe in 2019. The course is necessary for our son as the M.A. will provide the professional coaching he requires and enable him to make contacts in the theatre to help him move towards his goal to make musical theatre his profession.
I would be very grateful if anyone reading this could give me any advice on bursaries or funding. He is applying for a bursary which if successful will reduce the cost of accomodation in a hall of residence. I am also applying to various clergy family trusts for grants. 
Obviously we are very lucky in many ways given the current situation. However our son has worked extremely hard first to get to university and now onto the MA course and there is now a real danger through lack of funds that he might not be able to take up his place on the course. 
Thank you very much for your time reading this and thank you in advance for any help or advice offered. 

Comments

• I also forgot to say obviously he is currently searching for a summer job and will be looking for a weekend job in London if he is able to take up his place on the course. Thank you again.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,777
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Can't the institute advise?
    Is there an option to defer for a year and work in the meantime to fund the course? I know a lot of MA students tutor more junior students to part fund their studies, is that an option?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MoonChild91
    MoonChild91 Posts: 645
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm in a similar position - ie saving for my MA because bursaries just aren't really available for the degree I want to do. Sadly funding has been cut left, right, and centre for the arts (I'm saving for my MA in Fine Art) and every open day I've been to has advised self-funding, which seems to translate as 'get your parents to pay' - if only we all had that luxury! There are private charities which give bursaries out, I'm not sure of any music ones personally but that could be worth having a quick search for? I'd also suggest getting in touch with any groups who might have sponsored or helped with his Fringe show for advice.

I'd also suggest that he seriously think about living in halls! I studied in London for my BA, and whilst I was in halls during my 1st year they were around £3000 a year more expensive than any of the houses I lived in afterwards. On average my rent was around £550 a month if that helps. This was a few years ago but I managed to live on my £9000 a year loan without taking on extra work, though I was lucky and lived within walking distance of uni so didn't need the expense of a travel card. If you say £5k a year on rent, the rest he should be able to make up with part time work I'd say!
    Make £2024 in 2024 total £152.47/£2024

Make £2023 in 2023 total £2246.22/£2023

2023 comp wins: £1.60 TCB, collagen + make up bundle, £15 book token, signed book, outdoor cinema tickets + £200 spending money, candle bundle
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback