New Post Advanced Search

Gnats and Midges

16 replies 306 views
Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
1.8K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hello, 
I hope that someone can assist with a super idea to solve my problem.

We have our garden set out and, at the far end, we have a gazebo with furniture under which is lovely to sit out on a warm day because of the shade.  There is tall hedging around the hard standing area and the area is mostly just a delight.

We have a problem though that, for some reason, this area attracts a high number of gnats and midges, so when we sit there we come back in at the end of the day covered in bites.  I am not sure if it is relevant, but the type of gnats and midges there are only bite the ankles and lower legs - thankfully they do not go up high and attack arms, face etc.

What I really would like is something I can just spray all around the area to get rid of the pests and that will be that.  Looking on the internet nothing like that is obviously available.  Is there anyone that can help with a great idea to solve this please?

Replies

• Martin_the_UnjustMartin_the_Unjust Forumite
    256 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm have you any cats or dogs perhaps?
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    No pets at our house.
  • edited 19 May at 10:08AM
    FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 May at 10:08AM
    Would one of the yellow sticky fly trap things help?
    Not used myself but I know they are sometimes advised for white fly so I assume they attract other insects, may also catch bees so not sure, perahsp only when you are there, and remove otherwise? Trial & error maybe?

• Martin_the_UnjustMartin_the_Unjust Forumite
    256 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Bites on ankles and lower legs only does not sound like flying insect bites to me which is why I asked about pets.

Could it be red ants?
  • edited 19 May at 12:34PM
    Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 May at 12:34PM
    Thank you for the comments. 

I have ordered some of the yellow sticky pads because they are so cheap it would be silly not to try.

I don't know about the ants - I certainly have not seen any, but the logic makes sense of something crawling or jumping up from the ground.  You never feel anything on your ankles though, just at the end of the day go back inside and realise you have been bitten to smithereens down there - never anything higher than 8-10" from the ground.  If it is red ants, how do we control that?

I also wondered whether the plants in the area make any difference, we have:
    • Pyracantha
    • Holly tree
    • Tall green bushy plant with white flowers.  I don't think it is this as the gnats or whatever were there before this was planted.
    The patio in the area is regularly swept and washed down.  The flower beds are all weeded and weed-suppression membrane in place.

I was really hoping that there would just be a magic spray I could apply liberally and the bugs would go but not harm the plants.  Seems like my hopes will not be realised.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    .  If it is red ants, how do we control that?
    Ant bait stations work well
    Other brands are available, Wilko has one for instance

1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Farway - we have some of those and use if we ever see ants.  We only ever see normal ants, not red ants, but I'll put some bait stations out and see if it makes any difference.
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  We've had the magic yellow sheets and no more bites for about a week now.  Fingers crossed that does the trick in the warmest weather, as it has been a bit cooler this week so far.  Who would have thought such a cheap solution was possible?  Thanks again everyone.:)
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone.  We've had the magic yellow sheets and no more bites for about a week now.  Fingers crossed that does the trick in the warmest weather, as it has been a bit cooler this week so far.  Who would have thought such a cheap solution was possible?  Thanks again everyone.:)
    Have you looked closely at the yellow sheets to see what is stuck on them? Care to let us know for info?