Voluntary redundancy

My employer has recently announced he will be making redundancies. I am fortunate that I’m not a staff member that is going to be made redundant. However I have been thinking of moving on for some time and didn’t know if it would be wise to offer to be made redundant? 1. It could stop a colleague being made redundant.
2. I would get a small payout which would help me move on with my career plans.

Is this something that is possible? 

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 5,949
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Of course it is possible. Ask your employer.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In the current climate are you going to be able to get another job easily? Might be worth waiting a bit.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,651
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Often companies don’t like to offer voluntary redundancy because the people who apply for it are the good ones who can get jobs at other places. The people left will be the deadwood they wanted to get rid of. 

• blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,144
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What's your relationship with your manager like? It might be worth having a quiet chat with her or him about the subject. Sometimes managers get asked to nominate staff for redundancies. The possibility of saving someone who doesn't want redundancy from it is the sort of thing that a good manager might unofficially take into account. (I once had exactly such a conversation with my manager, and found him very receptive to the idea.)
  • donbat
    donbat Posts: 2
    First Post
    Thank you for your replies. It’s the MD who has made the decision, I get on ok with him but just just not sure how he’d react to me wanting to leave! I have interviews lined up for other jobs and just seems ridiculous not to say something but at the same time will this fact affect any redundancy payout? I’ve read if you take VR that there is a timescale where you can’t start a new job? 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,468
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Actually there is no such thing as "voluntary redundancy". So the amount of any payout by your employer is not subject to legislation. Your problem will be not putting yourself in a position where you have secured a new job but your employer will not agree to VR, so you have to resign without any payout

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback