We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Reusing plastic containers for plants/seedlings

LM2020
LM2020 Posts: 57 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I'm trying to reuse plastic food containers for plants/seedlings especially as I'm not going to the garden centre at the moment to buy containers. Can the plastic containers used for raw meat be washed well enough to be reused?

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Over the years I have used all sorts, wash them well, let them air dry, put some holes in the bottom, compost / soil/ seeds and away you go.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Ted_Head
    Ted_Head Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Yes, I reuse all the plastic containers - I especially like reusing yoguht pots that have the cardboard around them - Yeo - when that's removed they are semi-see through so you can see the roots of cuttings etc. Hopefully!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Any plastic container for meat should be impervious, so removing traces of the product is a simple matter of washing with detergent. Seeds  will be surrounded by millions of bacteria  etc in the growing medium itself, some of them helpful and some not; but it's the conditions for germination and afterwards which mostly determine success.

• LM2020
    LM2020 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you everyone for your help. Great tip about the yoghurt pots - will save these in future for cuttings.
  • Candyb101
    Candyb101 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've never eaten so many mushrooms and grapes .. just for the containers 😀😀
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Candyb101 said:
    I've never eaten so many mushrooms and grapes .. just for the containers 😀😀
    You can get about 6 marigolds to grow on in a mushroom container and we keep the grape ones for selling tomatoes later in the season.

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've kept my pot noodle type pots for starting seeds off, couple of holes in the bottom, bit of soil, sit back and wait.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback