Forum Home» Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving

Government Grant Claim for Self Employed

New Post Advanced Search

Government Grant Claim for Self Employed

9 replies 253 views
Congratulations to whoever set this up.  My wife is self employed and hasn't worked since lockdown.  Just gone through the registration and claim process this morning.  Took about 10 minutes including logging in to Gov gateway and will receive her grant (exactly what we'd worked out) in her bank account in 6 days. 
Amazing!
3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer

Replies

• PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, credit where it's due, just shows what HMRC can do when they have to.
    But, having said that, there are many reports of people being denied the grant who do actually qualify for it - quite a few reports on accountants' web forums. Apparently not all taxpayers records were loaded properly, so there are people who've been told they didn't qualify who, if they try again later once updated, will qualify - as long as they know to do it again!
  • SambashoesSambashoes Forumite
    29 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    The website is also very glitchy - it's a bit of a lottery in terms of whether or not it works for you! I've applied and it tells me I'm on eligible for reasons that are totally false. So I'll be calling them. My friend had the same issues too but it's now been sorted for her after a few calls.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was very straightforward as well. Got the link , gave them my UTR and NI number and was told I was eligible. Waited for my time slot , had a bit of trouble getting in at first but once in it gave me all my self employed details, showed me the calculations and asked for my bank details.

It does warn on each page that only individuals can make the claim and your accountant or tax advisor cannot make it on your behalf .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I did my claim last Wednesday afternoon and my money arrived in my account today. I am very impressed.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 20 May at 2:39PM
    Mistral001Mistral001 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 May at 2:39PM
    I have been told by HMRC that I am eligible, but I have not made a claim yet.  I watched the HMRC webinar this lunchtime and it all seems very simple.  However, all the examples given in the webinar were for people who had no income during lock down whereas  my income during lock down has been reduced to about 50% of my usual monthly profit due to having fewer clients.  The webinar said that people whose income was reduced due to loss of clients could claim and I assume that the grant will be reduced pro rata and I will not get the same as if my monthly income was zero during the lock down, however I have not seen that mentioned on any of HMRC literature.  Can those of you who have made a claim tell me if the claim process includes giving details of how much your income has reduced if it has not been reduced to zero?  Can I even claim anything at all?
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You can make the SEISS claim if your business has been affected by coronavirus.  You can also continue working.  The claim is calculated using history and not current or future.
  • PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The criteria is simply that you've been adversely affected.  You either get the grant or you don't.  It's not reduced if your business is only slightly affected.  So, some people will end up better off if their business hasn't been affected too badly and the grant is more than their loss of profit.
  • hollie.weimeranerhollie.weimeraner Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have been told by HMRC that I am eligible, but I have not made a claim yet.  I watched the HMRC webinar this lunchtime and it all seems very simple.  However, all the examples given in the webinar were for people who had no income during lock down whereas  my income during lock down has been reduced to about 50% of my usual monthly profit due to having fewer clients.  The webinar said that people whose income was reduced due to loss of clients could claim and I assume that the grant will be reduced pro rata and I will not get the same as if my monthly income was zero during the lock down, however I have not seen that mentioned on any of HMRC literature.  Can those of you who have made a claim tell me if the claim process includes giving details of how much your income has reduced if it has not been reduced to zero?  Can I even claim anything at all?
    No requirement to input any details other than bank accounts and I think confirmation that the business has been affected.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
  • Eastbourne_LouEastbourne_Lou Forumite
    4 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My brother is self employed and fulfils all criteria but is ineligible. The only thing ‘extraordinary’ is that he took out an IVA 18 months ago. I can’t find any mention that it excludes him, has anyone else come across this please?