Motability Car Write-Off Advice?

Options
What would happen if I Motability car gets written off by a driver who wasn't insured for the car but was allowed to drive it by the main driver (not the owner)? Do RAC still pay out? 

Does the disabled person who's car it is get punished financially even if they are vulnerable and was taken without their consent? 

It's not really fair if the disabled vulnerable person has to pay for a 30K car bill that wasn't their fault

will they be able to get a brand new car if it's written off? 

thanks 

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The disabled person needs to contact motability ASAP.
  • FusionFury
    FusionFury Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The disabled person needs to contact motability ASAP.
    Will the disabled customer be in trouble or financially responsible for the motabilty car being a write-off? 

Will the disabled person be able to get another car on the motabilty scheme? 

I'm worried to death on what the outcome will be.. I haven't eaten all day.. I hate the named driver who let their partner drive and end up crashing my disabled car 😢

please if anyone has experience with this type of thing please help? 
  • FusionFury
    Options
    I didn't give the named driver permission to drive to their partners house in my disabled car that's for me.. that's abuse
    I've been worried to death since I heard what happened.. 
  • poppy12345
    Options
    RAC won't pay because that's the breakdown recovery. RSA is the insurance company.
    I have no idea i'm afraid, i've never been in the position. If you are the motability customer then you'll need to contact RSA first thing tomorrow morning. If the car is written off and you haven't reported then you could make the situation even worse. Just ring them and be honest, tell them exactly what's happened.
  • FusionFury
    Options
    RAC won't pay because that's the breakdown recovery. RSA is the insurance company.
    I have no idea i'm afraid, i've never been in the position. If you are the motability customer then you'll need to contact RSA first thing tomorrow morning. If the car is written off and you haven't reported then you could make the situation even worse. Just ring them and be honest, tell them exactly what's happened.
    I'm just wondering if I as the disabled motabilty customer will have to pay the value of the write-off car as don't motabilty make money when they resell it? How will motability get their money back? 

Thanks 
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assume they’ll ask if they had permission to drive it or not.
    If they had permission to drive it, you’ll be in trouble as its a criminal offence to have have given permission without them being insured. 
    If you didn’t give permission, a police report will need to be filed as the car was technically “stolen” and as such I think they can claim back from the driver or MIB. 
  • FusionFury
    edited 15 May 2020 at 7:18AM
    Options
    es5595 said:
    I assume they’ll ask if they had permission to drive it or not.
    If they had permission to drive it, you’ll be in trouble as its a criminal offence to have have given permission without them being insured. 
    If you didn’t give permission, a police report will need to be filed as the car was technically “stolen” and as such I think they can claim back from the driver or MIB. 

Thank you 

what do you think i should do now what’s the best thing for me to do? Ring RAC or motabilty? Or let my mum ring them and sort it out and I stay out of it as I could end up making things worse for myself? If motabilty end up ringing me I just tell the truth she took it without my permission/consent? 

Like people have said it's not my fault and I shouldn't be punished.. I'm a vulnerable adult and the main driver abused my trust and took advantage 😕 I hate them and I'll definitely be disowning them as this has really stressed me out and worried me to death.. 

thanks

• poppy12345
    Options
    If you are the motability customer and you don't have an appointee then you will need to ring them. If you can't talk on the phone then you can go through security and then pass the phone onto someone else.

It's not RAC you need to ring it's RSA motability because they are the insurance people.

When did the accident happen? Were the police not involved? If they weren't then why didn't you call them? If the car is written off then where is it now?

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What would happen if I Motability car gets written off by a driver who wasn't insured for the car but was allowed to drive it by the main driver (not the owner)? Do RAC still pay out? 

I hate the named driver who let their partner drive and end up crashing my disabled car 

I didn't give the named driver permission to drive to their partners house in my disabled car that's for me

Or let my mum ring them and sort it out and I stay out of it as I could end up making things worse for myself? If motabilty end up ringing me I just tell the truth she took it without my permission/consent? 
    thanks 
    Is this the same car you wanted to return back last August because your Mum as main driver? had certain problems?
    Ensure you have all relevant facts before calling RSA Motability.

And call ASAP.

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Like people have said it's not my fault and I shouldn't be punished.. I'm a vulnerable adult and the main driver abused my trust and took advantage 😕 I hate them and I'll definitely be disowning them as this has really stressed me out and worried me to death.. 

You won't be 'punished', but you may be held responsible. You may not be able to tell the difference, but it's there nonetheless. 

And you won't KNOW the situation until YOU PHONE THEM. Hence the repeated suggestions that you should do that ASAP.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure