Receiving bursary for study whilst on Furlough advice

Hi, if anyone could help me that would be great, because I am worried and stuck, I will outline the situation firstly,

I am/was currently working full time but have been Furloughed as of late March,

Back in early February I accepted an offer to go onto a teacher training course starting in September, but part of the requirements to start this course in September was that I had to complete a Subject knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course prior to the teacher training which would last 12 weeks starting in May,

This was meant to be done half online study and half study at the university but has now been moved to completely online, there is a Bursary for this SKE course and I will receive in three instalments,

My initial plan was to carry on working my job for the first few weeks of online study and then quit my job when the study at the university started but now the course is completely online I would like to try and stay in my job for as long as possible until I starting the initial teacher training (ITT) in September,

The company I work for made me signed a new contract which included saying I cannot work for another company during furlough leave,

My question is, am I breaching my furlough contract because I am receiving a bursary for my studies? Technically I’m not working, I am studying a course but it just and so happens I get a bursary for this?

I am likely going back to work mid June and would like to try and work as-well as complete the course once back at work. I could do with the money from both my job and the bursary but I don’t want to be seen as doing the wrong thing/illegal!

but any advice help would be nice,

Thanks to anyone who read all that 😂😂

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,622
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
     Working elsewhere while on furlough is allowed with with your employer's permission so you need to check with your employer whether he considers it 'working'.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback