MS host for a .online domain?

Options
robatwork
robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 13 May 2020 at 2:12PM in Techie Stuff
I have had a .online domain for a few years with Smart Web hosting who were taken over by Krystal a year or two ago. 

Now just heard from Krystal some weasel words "We are contacting you today as we have recently taken the decision to reduce the number of domain extensions we provide to our clients. This decision was made due to an overwhelming majority of our clients using a smaller subset of domain extensions.
As such, reducing the range of TLDs we're able to register/renew allows us to better support customers, as we'll no longer have to use resources to monitor (and pass on) frequent cost price increases for some 'premium' domains"

Another kick in the teeth after a long line of price increases from when it was the excellent and cheap Smart Web hosting.

Can anyone who is hosting a .online domain give me a recommendation of a decent cheap hosting company?  It's one I use for mail forwarding only, I don't even have a website. I do like the cpanel interface but as long as I can forward multiple addresses like rob@xxxxx.online and robatwork@xxxxx.online to other addresses it will be fine.

Many thanks

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 May 2020 at 2:58PM
    Options
    GoDaddy.
    Why people decide to use these other daft little companies i will never know

• robatwork
    Options
    I did check on them and they are typical of the first year giveaway and rinse you in the subsequent years. Actually it's worse as I need to transfer the domain in:

It's just not an MSE option for forwarding a couple of email addresses.
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://tld-list.com/tld/online

A couple I've never heard of, but they say it is $27 to transfer in via Namecheap. (I couldnt test this on namecheap, as they do checks against the domain to see if it is eligible to transfer before giving you a quote)
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have to say I usually use IONOS by 1&1, I have a few different packages with them at the mo from a basic package to host my wordpress sites, up to a virtual ubuntu server I am using to host node, mongo etc, never had a problem with them and have used them on and off for about 15 years now

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I will go away and take my spam with me said @kolithhmig
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kolimig, kolitmig, kolittmig and kolithmig are all the same spammer.
  • robatwork
    Options
    Ah this thread revived out of nowhere - I still haven't found somewhere MSE to transfer and host the domain - for some reason .online seems to command a premium. Perhaps the extra few letters a programmer needs to type take up more room on an SSD on all those root servers. 
  • robatwork
    Options
    I'm forever complaining about threads not being resolved by the OP.

As the OP on this one, I ended up with namecheap on "black friday" where they had some discounts. Transferred my .online domain and now have 100 forwarders I think. Pretty painless.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback