New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Eco/natural burial

4 replies 211 views
ATC111ATC111 Forumite
38 posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts
Has anyone planned a minimalist eco/natural burial for themselves or someone else in Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland? 
Possibly in a natural burial ground or Promession http://www.promessa.se/about-life-death (not sure if the latter is permitted in the UK/Ireland yet)
Would be grateful for any advice on how to go about planning it
TIA

Replies

• donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would the local council be able to tell you the rules?
  • qwert_yuiopqwert_yuiop Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There’s a place in Wexford does it. Wood brook, near killanne. They’re originally from portadown. You end up in an oak wood.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about Ireland but in England it is very easy indeed and I was surprised to learn there is very little regulation and no actual permission required, only notification.  When we buried my in-laws (a few years apart) in their garden the only requirement was that the position must not be within x metres of a watercourse (I forget 'x' but it wasn't a lot, maybe 10 metres - should be easy to check).  With that requirement met it was just a case of notification.  There was no 'application', no inspection and no explicit permission - you just do it and inform the appropriate authorities. 
    It is recommended that the graves are marked on the property deeds, but it's not a legal requirement and we didn't bother.  It is also said that such graves might affect a future house sale but again that's only advice.  It made no difference in my experience.   I guess much depends on the setting though.  Theirs was a large country house with decent grounds and it was easy to find an overgrown spot.  A tiny garden in a terraced street would likely be a different matter in terms of desirability, though not (I believe) in legality.
    The other big advantage is that it can be one last act of significant money-saving!
  • CEON44CEON44 Forumite
    434 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I know you asked about burials specifically but there are also options for Eco/cheap cremations in NI
    https://ni.purecremation.com/
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p