New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Negotiating with a developer

1 reply 113 views
tinkthejohntinkthejohn Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi,

I am currently looking to negotiate with a new build developer, to purchase a new house. Their sales agent is telling me the maximum they are allowed to give to me (defined by lenders not their company policy for example) is 5% of the value of the house. From this I would have to deduct estate agent fees for an assisted move and stamp duty, if I am looking for them to be covered. Is what I'm being told correct or are they allowed to give me more than that if I explored further negotiations?

Thanks

Replies

• anselldanselld Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    5% is the maximum "incentive".  However you can also negotiate on the headline price although the developer may not be willing.