New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Fence or hedge for privacy

27 replies 569 views
ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
2.2K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
My neighbours have recently removed their leylandii hedge. I know most people hate leylandii but it was really good for privacy. It was so thick it even seemed to give some sound-proofing  from their 3 screaming kids. Now all we have between us is a, less then 4ft, fence. Their garden is very small and they use it all the time so every time I go outside I end up having to talk to them. When I’m in my kitchen, they’re staring straight in. 

I’m not sure what to do. Would a tall fence or a hedge be best? Or both? I was thinking of a 6ft wooden fence. Would that seem very antisocial? What hedge would grow really quickly? (apart from more leylandii). Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe temporary fix, trellis topping of the fence then some climber up & over.
    The trellis will eventually fall down but maybe the right climber will hold it up?
    Trellis, being "open" would avoid any anti social label until the thug of whatever scrambled over it.
    Clematis maybe?
  • ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Farway would clematis grow really fast? I’m not sure about the trellis as it’s quite exposed and windy here but it might be worth looking into. 

They’re now waving at me every time I go into the kitchen to make a cup of tea 😕. 
  • JustagardenerJustagardener Forumite
    252 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Nothing is more antisocial than screaming kids. A 6ft fence if it was me or Google slat fencing very good for deflecting noise but not quite as antisocial as a complete fence
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is more antisocial than screaming kids. A 6ft fence if it was me or Google slat fencing very good for deflecting noise but not quite as antisocial as a complete fence
    It’s worse right now because they’re not at school and are having playdates daily. 

The sort of fencing I was thinking of has gaps in it. I don’t know what the name for it is, but it’s like upright planks. Maybe I could get something to grow beside it, or through it, to cover it a bit more. 
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ripplyuk said:
    @Farway would clematis grow really fast? I’m not sure about the trellis as it’s quite exposed and windy here but it might be worth looking into. 

They’re now waving at me every time I go into the kitchen to make a cup of tea 😕. 
    you could also look here, found by searching for fast growing
    Not a recommend but gives ideas while you sort out a Rambling Rector for the kids >:)

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    137 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Rambling Rector for the kids lol. Great idea! Say it was a gift from some family member and sentimental value.
    As said you can get a noise deflecting fence though they are pricey. Is it your fence to replace?
    I don't have the noise problem but was convinced by my neighbour to errect a 4ft with trellis top because it's nice to chat occasionally. She's turned out not to be so sweet but I'm subtley growing Ceonothus which is fairly dense and quick and a dwarf tree over the trellis so by the time she's realised what's going on I won't be able to see her shed or hear her phone calls but not offended her.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is kitchen window bare? 
    Maybe a net curtain would help with your privacy when in there. 
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    twopenny said:
    Rambling Rector for the kids lol. Great idea! Say it was a gift from some family member and sentimental value.
    As said you can get a noise deflecting fence though they are pricey. Is it your fence to replace?
    I think so. There’s another fence behind mine. It looks like the original fence from when the houses were built. It’s just basic concrete posts and wire mesh. My wooden fence is on my side of that. It was here when I moved in. 
  • GrenageGrenage Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any hedge that grows quickly will require constant trimming.

I'd almost always pick a hedge over a fence; they look great, they don't normally need to be replaced or painted, and they're good for wildlife.
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Grenage What hedge would you recommend? Would holly be good? I like the look of it and being prickly means the kids won’t be climbing over it. 

The only problem is that I don’t want to wait years to have privacy. I think I’d need a fence too.