Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

At second home - just wondering how to get prescription?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

At second home - just wondering how to get prescription?

25 replies 976 views
Normally I have a repeat prescription which gets auto-sent to a branch of Boots. I am away from the city now due to the current situation and want to re-order the prescription but can't go to the Doctors or the normal Boots.

Which option has the least chance of going wrong:

- Send Doctors a request form with SAE so they can send prescription to my temporary address and let me collect from a local pharmacy?
- Ask my normal Boots to issue the items and post them to my temporary address?
- Use the online Boots/Lloyds service and authorise them to request the prescription from the Doctors and post the items to my temporary address?

Thank you

Replies

• FlossFloss Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use the online service - they have had plenty of practice so should be able to do what they do for you.
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK Boots branches don't post medications. 

I use the Echo app which is the Lloyds online service, after a bad experience with Superdrug Online Pharmacy. 

I've had zero problems with Echo. The first request arrived in a week (the first takes longer, there was also 1 day delay as they had to order stock ), the second was placed yesterday , GP authorised same day and echo sent a few hours later, so it's arriving tomorrow! 

You can add what delivery address you like. 
  • edited 12 May at 10:09AM
    Andrea_jardinAndrea_jardin Forumite
    17 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 12 May at 10:09AM
    KxMx said:
    I use the Echo app which is the Lloyds online service, after a bad experience with Superdrug Online Pharmacy. 
    Thank you. Looks good. I am surprised that they don't charge though, I mean posting a parcel costs money so are they making money from data harvesting or something?

I am hoping to avoid the Doctors knowing about my temporary address, because if they tell me I need to register local to that address then I am stuffed because the local one is not taking on new patients at the mo..
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you got a friend / family member who can pick it up from your normal Boots and post it to you?
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KxMx said:
    Thank you. Looks good. I am surprised that they don't charge though, I mean posting a parcel costs money so are they making money from data harvesting or something?

I am hoping to avoid the Doctors knowing about my temporary address, because if they tell me I need to register local to that address then I am stuffed because the local one is not taking on new patients at the mo..
    They get paid per prescription dispensed from the NHS so I assume the postage funds come from that.

As a business and a large customer they will also get very good rates from Royal Mail, less than you or I would pay.

Plus due to size they probably have buying power with drug suppliers and can save there. 
  • _shel_shel Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
     I just give the name of a pharmacy local to where I am. Never had a problem they send it electronically and I pick it up. 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My GPs online service allows me to change pharmacy when I order a prescription, but only gives me a list of so many local to my address to choose from. 

• edited 12 May at 1:29PM
    Tea_Pea_DeeTea_Pea_Dee Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 May at 1:29PM
    KxMx said:

They are posting during the pandemic.  See here:
    https://www.boots.com/online/pharmacy/

There is no delivery charge for NHS repeat prescriptions ordered online. How long will it take to get my order? Due to Covid-19 increasing demand, things may take a few days longer, so we’ve updated the order times below. We’ll email you when your order is ready to be collected or dispatched. Thank you for your patience

With GP Online Services:Collection: 6 days after order is placed Delivery: 10 days after order is placed

Without* GP Online Services: Collection: 7 days after order is placed Delivery: 13 days after order is placed

IGNORE THE ABOVE RUBBISH ADVICE FROM ME.  KxMx HAS POINTED OUT THIS IS A SEPARATE SYSTEM TO THE ONE OP REQUIRES.  

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you simply telephone your GP surgery and ask them?   Ask if you can order online and can they send it to the nearest pharmacy.  Nobody here will know what your surgery will and won't do.
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    KxMx said:

They are posting during the pandemic.  See here:
    https://www.boots.com/online/pharmacy/

There is no delivery charge for NHS repeat prescriptions ordered online. How long will it take to get my order? Due to Covid-19 increasing demand, things may take a few days longer, so we’ve updated the order times below. We’ll email you when your order is ready to be collected or dispatched. Thank you for your patience

With GP Online Services:Collection: 6 days after order is placed Delivery: 10 days after order is placed

Without* GP Online Services: Collection: 7 days after order is placed Delivery: 13 days after order is placed

That's if ordered online via Boots Online Pharmacy.

OP has said her prescription gets sent to a Boots local branch.

Two separate systems.