We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Too much lawn feed

Options
neilmcl
neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 9 May 2020 at 10:43AM in Gardening
I put down some Aftercut All-in-one lawn feed and moss killer yesterday but I didn't check the setting on my lawn spreader and ended up putting too much down. I tried to water it down to dilute the affect but still ended up with quite a lot of dark brown patches over half of the lawn by the evening, I know some of it is probably moss but I'm afraid I've damaged the lawn as well. Is there anything I can do now other than to wait for a week until it's full affect has passed and then rake it all out? I do have a scarifier I can use.

Comments

• Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It will be ok. Diluting with water is the answer. You might find yourself rather busy with the lawn mower in 2 weeks time though. :#
    The solution to pollution is dilution. 
    Someone not to far away, once filled a miracle grow feeder with weedkiller granules instead of feed granules and merrily "fed" all her plants leaves with it. Once she realised 2hrs later she had to spray all the plants with fresh water, the plants all survived!
  • neilmcl
    Options
    I was out a  bit earlier giving the area a good soaking, will continue that over the next few days then see what it's like in a week or two.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 10 May 2020 at 10:26AM
    Options
    My lawn wasn't so fortunate when I was too heavy handed with the weed and feed. 
    After waiting 18 months for the dead patches to show any sign of re-growth, I've now re-seeded said patches with grass seed!
    Even though everyone told me it would be really, really unusual to have killed off grass permanently, I still managed it :blush:
  • neilmcl
    edited 10 May 2020 at 2:57PM
    Options
    KxMx said:
    My lawn wasn't so fortunate when I was too heavy handed with the weed and feed. 
    After waiting 18 months for the dead patches to show any sign of re-growth, I've now re-seeded said patches with grass seed!
    Even though everyone told me it would be really, really unusual to have killed off grass permanently, I still managed it :blush:
    I think the problem is if you leave it long enough it gets to down into the roots then you're a bit stuffed hence why I've been out giving it a good soak, and will continue to do so for a few days. Hopefully I'll have saved it but time will tell. Fortunately it's not the whole lawn just one small section.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback