Just been laid off - should I apply for JSA now or wait out my notice period?

I have just been laid off from my company and will have one month's notice period as of today. As my salary comes in on the 20th, this means I'll either get paid a month + 2 weeks pay on the 20th of this month, or the money will come in as a month's pay this month and 2 weeks pay on the 20th of next month. I am not working during my notice period.

I have over £16k worth of savings (mostly an ISA with shares bought with inheritance which I don't plan to make use of any time soon) so my means tested eligibility is zero for most things. I am 24 years old and have paid NI contributions for the last few years. My rent is £500pcm and I live (in a 2 bed flat) with a friend who is still working and pays the same (total £1K pcm). Based on this I went to the 'entitledto' website and it says I should be eligible for a JSA of £58.90 weekly and a local housing allowance to cover the full rent. 

A few questions:
  1. Will I be entitled to both or is it a case of one or the other?
  2. Should I apply for these now and set them to start claiming from this time next month, or should I wait until I'm technically unemployed?
  3. Are there any medium-long term effects of claiming JSA and housing allowance? Will it have an effect on getting a mortgage in a few years for example? 
  4. I don't think they'll have a problem with it, but would my landlord be able to kick me out if my rent starts getting paid by the gov benefits and not by myself?

Thank you in advance, and sorry if there's a question here already answered elsewhere. Having been let go a couple of hours ago I'm a bit panicked!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I dont see how you would be eligible for housing element of UC, you are over the £16k savings allowance.

I dont know the local housing rate, but based upon your age, i doubt it is £120 a week at anyrate.

You should apply for new style JSA.

Your landlord cannoy evict you at the minute, no matter what. However in theory a s.21 eviction requires no reason whatsoever. 
  • I think you're correct, double checked and housing allowance is means tested on savings so I won't be eligible. What do you think about Q2? Should I apply now? Or will I just be rejected?
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    I think you're correct, double checked and housing allowance is means tested on savings so I won't be eligible. What do you think about Q2? Should I apply now? Or will I just be rejected?
    Apply now. They'll ask you about what money you expect to receive; but New Style JSA is contribution based, so you're eligible from day 1 of unemployment. 
  • I tried applying online but the form didn't let me put an end of employment date in the future. Since I'm technically 'employed' (even if I'm also not working due to lockdown) until the 7th June I can't set up my JSA application.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    but are you employed? that really is the question
  • I was given my one month notice of being laid off yesterday. I am no longer working but will receive pay for one month from yesterday. I suppose this means I'm on 'gardening leave'.

I think that I am technically employed until the end of this notice period, so I am unable to claim any benefit until then. I wanted to apply for JSA in the meantime to ensure it will be ready to start as soon as my notice period runs out. I don't know if this is possible to do. I guess I will have to just apply for JSA on 07/06/20.
  • have you been paid PILON - payment in lieu of notice. If yes, you are unemployed (sorry)
    If you have been asked to work the notice period, then you are NOT unemployed.
    Any redundancy monies you have received or receive in next pay-check will impact your eligibility for UC, but not for contribution based JSA. You might already know this, but JSA will be valid for 26 weeks maximum. 
  • I'm in the weird middle ground-
    • I've not been asked to work my notice period (I've been furloughed since mid April on full pay) 
    • I'm getting a standard pay cheque on the usual date this month (20th) and a smaller one next month for the 2 weeks left in the notice period they have to pay me for
    • They will force me to 'take holiday' during this notice period for all holiday entitlement I have built up so far this year :disappointed: 
    • I think the reason they're putting me on gardening leave until the end of notice period instead of just doing a PILON is so that they don't have to pay my unused holiday. I don't believe I'm permitted to work elsewhere until my notice period is up.

I will register for JSA on 7/6/20.
  • papito
    papito Posts: 365
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm in the weird middle ground-
    • I've not been asked to work my notice period (I've been furloughed since mid April on full pay) 
    • I'm getting a standard pay cheque on the usual date this month (20th) and a smaller one next month for the 2 weeks left in the notice period they have to pay me for
    • They will force me to 'take holiday' during this notice period for all holiday entitlement I have built up so far this year :disappointed: 
    • I think the reason they're putting me on gardening leave until the end of notice period instead of just doing a PILON is so that they don't have to pay my unused holiday. I don't believe I'm permitted to work elsewhere until my notice period is up.

I will register for JSA on 7/6/20.
    Hi, sorry to bump in here but just wondered if applying after your notice period ended was correct as in similar situation here. Not sure to apply now or after the notice period, I’m furloughed during the notice period (1 month)
    I hope you are doing fine and have found another job! Thanks 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,253
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you’re furloughed, you are still employed. You apply for JSA on the date your employment ends .
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback