How much income effects Special Guardianship Allowance.

Options
Hi. Does anyone know how much income effects Special Guardianship Allowance? Me and my Husband are in our mid 50s and we have a 6 year old on a SGO, with an income form the local authority of about £150 a week. Plus I work 38 hours a week. My Husband is returning to work after ill health and I wondered if due to his income that would be nearly 28.000 a year, what effect would it have on our current SGO payment? Is there a minimum that it will go down to, or could our SGO payment be completely NIL, due to the new income. Im just wondering by what percentage an SGO payment comes down, in relation to yearly working income etc. Many thanks. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I found this which might help:

Special Guardianship Allowance is a means-tested allowance available to SpecialGuardians. The Special Guardianship Regulations 2005 (the Regulations) and the statutory Special Guardianship Guidance 2005 (the Guidance) give guidance on the allowance that councils can pay. Regulation 13 deals with such payments.
  • Sophiesmom1
    Options
    We have sgo of my niece. If when you got your SGO court order it states your allowance is to be means tested every 2 years ( like mine) then when they go to renew it and go over your finances  if there is a surplus you would not have it awarded. However if it's in your Sgo papers that  its guaranteed until  your LO is a certain age. Then you are fine.   MY OH makes miniumium  wage, 40 hours Pw. And we only just got panel to look at our SGO allowance last year when it was means tested again.  
  • Jen_Jim_Patrick
    Options
    Hello
    We have had an SGO for our grandson since he was a baby(he's now nine years old). We have always been given to believe that applying for Special Guardianship Allowance is a "long shot" and that we stand little chance of getting it. 

I live in Devon and I know the "rules" vary from county to county. However, I know a family whose SGO was awarded in another county and they have SGA written in to their court order. 

My husband is now unwell and we are on Universal Credit (I do not get Carer's Allowance for him). We have no savings or other financial means. Does anybody out there know if I am entitled to Special Guardianship Allowance, as I haven't got the stamina at this point to apply if it is a waste of time? I was told that I have first to approach the parents and ask them to make a contribution. I also don't feel robust enough to do that!

Grateful for any advice or help.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello
    We have had an SGO for our grandson since he was a baby(he's now nine years old). We have always been given to believe that applying for Special Guardianship Allowance is a "long shot" and that we stand little chance of getting it. 

I live in Devon and I know the "rules" vary from county to county. However, I know a family whose SGO was awarded in another county and they have SGA written in to their court order. 

My husband is now unwell and we are on Universal Credit (I do not get Carer's Allowance for him). We have no savings or other financial means. Does anybody out there know if I am entitled to Special Guardianship Allowance, as I haven't got the stamina at this point to apply if it is a waste of time? I was told that I have first to approach the parents and ask them to make a contribution. I also don't feel robust enough to do that!

Grateful for any advice or help.
    You've posted on and old thread from almost 4 years ago. It would be better if you started a thread of your own with your questions because questions on other people's thread can get missed and cause confusion. 
  • Auti
    Auti Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SGO allowance if not written into your court order is like hens teeth. In saying that there is no harm in contacting social services and saying you are struggling - sometimes there is something they can help with to prevent the breakdown of the SGO but you would have to be firm in your dealings. Also ask what you can access from the adoption fund (social services) as SGO is lumped in with them - was your child a *looked after* child before SGO (social services were responsible for him before SGO) as they have to do more and child gets extra funding at school but it might be that you took child straight away and it is kinship care then don‘t qualify.

Have you claimed the child element on UC for him, also Child Benefit, have you claimed free school meals as that opens up other things like free half term clubs inc meals (you get a code from school to then book a session). 

I have the same as you inc age - financially it is not easy by any means but for me the child‘s smile is awesome. Sorry can‘t be of more help - you are doing an awesome job :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback