Changing sink wast

Options
I have a broken pop up waste on my bathroom sink. I would like to change it for a standard plug on a chain type as there is little to go wrong. Is this a difficult job? I have zero plumbing experience. Can anyone recommend any tutorials please as I have little patience with going through endless youtube videos to watch adverts?
Thanks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you not thing that it's worth posting a photo of what you have under the basin?
    They do videos for a reason. Or tutorials with pictures.

That said, I can imagine that if you just unscrew and take out the plug itself you'll be able to find a traditional plug to match the existing fitting (not sure).
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May 2020 at 11:49AM
    Options
    JuzaMum said:
    I have a broken pop up waste on my bathroom sink. I would like to change it for a standard plug on a chain type as there is little to go wrong. Is this a difficult job? I have zero plumbing experience. Can anyone recommend any tutorials please as I have little patience with going through endless youtube videos to watch adverts?
    Thanks
    Pop up waste isn't really a plumbing job, but a simple mechanical lever. You may be able to play with it and work it out for yourself. Rod behind tap pushes up and down, levers little rod in side of waste pipe that lifts/drops the pop up waste.
    They get sticky/bent very easily as soon as they get stiff, extra force needed bends the rod.
    See if you can separate the long rod from the shorter one going into the side of the waste pipe, then check to see if moving that up and down operates the pop up.
    If not, then you can unscrew the lever arm bit from the side of the waste pipe and clean it (old toothbrush and descaler). Put back carefully and refit the long rod back into the small joint.
    Not sure why the ads on You Tube are a hassle, you just click stop ad after 4 seconds then watch the video. Or use Google, as I have ..

PS Americans like to call them sinks, but sinks are what you find in the kitchen. Basins are used in bathrooms ;-)
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, Unfortunately the mechanism for making it pop up sticks up so a normal plug won't fit. I have unscrewed it to for a picture. It does not have a lever - it pops up when you push it but won't stay down and leaks. Maybe it is called something else
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May 2020 at 12:31PM
    Options
    I see, these are called "click clack" wastes. Fairly easy to change for a new one (about £12 from Screwfix) if you are mildly DIY competent. I'd swap it for a "captive" or "swivel" basin waste which looks similar but you push the plug bit to tilt it 90 degrees to open. Fewer moving parts to seize up.

Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks. That looks perfect. I think I am reasonable at D.I.Y. as have had to learn a fair bit since buying my own home but haven't done any plumbing yet.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback