PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Stopping ants from coming in, without killing them?

Options

Hi, we had a few ants coming into the utility room through a tiny gap in the skirting board... I filled it, but they’re just getting in through the kitchen now - there were lots this morning going for the cats food :/

I’ve sprayed lots of vinegar about (outside along the side of the house, and under the kitchen cabinets) which seems to have temporarily deterred them - but I need to stop them getting in somehow.

My plan was to cement between the patio slabs and the house since a lot of it has cracked... but as for filling inside I don’t know where to start. Here’s a picture under the kitchen cabinet where they’re getting in: https://i.imgur.com/jUip0nt.jpg

It’s awkward as hell to get under there, and it’d be so much to fill... I’m wondering if there’s a suitable spray foam I could use which ants can’t chew through?

Any other tips would be fantastic too please. Thanks :)

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've deterred them in the past by sprinkling sodium bicarbonate.  In our house, they come in through the sliding glass door into the kitchen.  We used to annually have an invasion.  The bicarb has stopped that.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 22 spent, 44 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
  • blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Pipney :) Just done a quick Google and found this:
    As natural scavengers, ants take this homemade poison back to their nest and infect the rest of the colony. When ingested, baking soda produces bubbles of carbon dioxide, which explode the infected ant from the inside out.

I'm not going to rule it out, but will probably just put some down as a last resort. Would love to keep them out somehow as I'm also worried that if we just kill them, more will come in the future unless we keep putting the poison or whatever down. But I do much prefer that to poison, especially since we have 3 cats and a baby on the way!

• blizeH
    blizeH Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, my bad! Just found this:
    To use it for infestation prevention, you just need some baking soda. Ants know to avoid pure baking soda, so you can sprinkle it around doorways, window sills, and other entry points to keep them out of your home. You can also sprinkle some in cabinets, under sinks, and in other dark, moist places where ants may find shelter in your home.

That could be a huge win. I'm guessing sprinkling some down the side of the house wouldn't hurt either :) Thank you!

• tiddles
    tiddles Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I sprinkled some ground cinnamon next to the skirting board under which ants were coming into our kitchen. I left it down for over a week, and swept it up yesterday, and the ants have not returned.
    Decluttered 1265/2024
  • ToastLady
    ToastLady Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make up a spray bottle with some clove oil in and spray around anywhere they get in. It will kill them on contact, but does deter them. I add a few drops to my kitchen counter spray, and it does seem to deter the little blighters. Spray round window sills, doorways, anywhere they are likely to get in.
    Washing up liquid stops them, but it's quite messy.
    Similarly drawing a line of chalk will stop them crossing over, a bit like the bi-carb method. 

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Borax, if you can get hold of it. This commercial product has helped me in the past, and lasts for years (I think it was about £2 when I last bought it, which must have been at least 7 years ago):

Apply liberally around the threshold of entry. Yes it does kill the ants but it saves many more because it deters further entry. They certainly don't return the same year.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,109 Forumite
    Options
    We had them getting into our dining room, marching all round the edges of the skirting. Couldn't work out where they were coming in. We had to use a large amount of bathroom silicon to fill the gap between the skirting and the concrete floor.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We had ants coming in under our back door; my husband painted a wide strip of thick bleach along the back step, up to the bottom of the door and it does seem to have deterred them.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure