Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    liz12345 wrote: »
    This week I received a threatening letter addressed to him from Red saying he still had to pay £250. I remember paying this off. The letter even states I made this payment however apparently he owes more as far as we were concerned the payment I made was all he owed.

The letter states if I do not make contact in 10 days they will proceed with further action.

It's not your debt. Whether you pass on the letter to him or not is up to you.

If they write again (and they will) I suggest you return the envelope (without opening it) marked 'not known at this address'

If anyone does turn up at the door(most unlikely) they would have no right to even reveal their purpose to you. It's not your debt!

And the 'further action' thing is just standard bull***t.
  • g553
    g553 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I had a letter from Red a few months back, they believe I owe them £11 and the creditor name was blank. Just through tossed it in the bin, if they are going to try it on. They can atleast 'look' professional. It's their duty to prove it, I'm not going to waste my time on this.

It's a shame these companies are still in business because people don't know the law or their rights and are just plain scared of court/ bailiffs
  • money2008
    money2008 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    To my suprise today
    I received a letter from Red debt collection for an outstanding balance for a 3G mobile phone? If I can remeber rightly I dont even remeber having a 3G phone, I applied for a contract but decided to cancel it before the phone was sent out :mad:
    I spoke to them on the phone today and they said that it was do to with a 3G phone in 2003 - Surely they cannot chase me after 7 years but besides that I am certain I do not owe them a penny anyway

any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
  • BekahC
    BekahC Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    Money2008 Statute barred EVEN if it is right :) send them a prove it letter
    2011 wins : Sebo k1 vacuum
  • money2008
    Options
    BekahC wrote: »
    Money2008 Statute barred EVEN if it is right :) send them a prove it letter

Hi Bekah
    Thanks for the comment
    Is there a Prove it letter template? Do you know where I could find one
    Thanks
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    money2008 wrote: »
    Hi Bekah
    Thanks for the comment
    Is there a Prove it letter template? Do you know where I could find one
    Thanks

Prove it letter:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11570893&postcount=2

Statute barred template:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11571227&postcount=3

You could probably combine the 2 to basically say:

1) I dispute that I owe or recognise the debt.

2) In addition to (1), the debt you are claiming would be in any case statute barred.

Or in short, "get lost". ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • money2008
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Prove it letter:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11570893&postcount=2

Statute barred template:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11571227&postcount=3

You could probably combine the 2 to basically say:

1) I dispute that I owe or recognise the debt.

2) In addition to (1), the debt you are claiming would be in any case statute barred.

Or in short, "get lost". ;)

Thank you for the templates
  • crazygirl10_2
    Options
    hi slightly baffled here,
    have had to letters from red saying lowell have sold them this debt and that i owe tmobile £54 pounds, says the debt was on the 10th sept 2008 at a very previous address one i had not lived in since 2004!!!(or before then) and the last payment was made in dec 2007 disconnection date was feb 2008 only disconnected due to me changing phone numbers but didnt change phone number until last year! he wasnt very helpful on the phone i said i would contact tmobile and see what they say,he said i was welcome to and that they may not have my details anymore due to it being sold on!?! can anyone help me with any other info?
    :mad:
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    Don't talk to them on the phone and put everything in writing.

Send the 'prove it' letter Fermi linked to above and request a copy of the airtime agreement as proof that you owe the debt.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are these pirates literally just on fishing trips?! How can they be allowed to do this?

Do they buy old records of "debts" paid off and then start trying to scare people into paying? How on earth is this kind of thing actually legal? Yes I know you can reply with the prove it etc, but why the hell should you need to!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure