Letter from "Red Debt Collection Services" - I'm convinced it's not mine!

Options
15678911»

Comments

• deanbed
    Options
    I recieved a letter two tears ago from Red Square collections for £36.79 apparently owed by me on a 3g phone account. I knew I had a 3g phone about 4 years previous to the letter but the contract was finished and paid in full. So I sent a letter(found on this website) which contained a subject access request.
    I did NOT recieve one. instead Red Square sold the debt onto a company called Lowell Portfolio.
    I sent them the same letter and they sold the debt onto Scotcall. At one point I even recieved a letter that looked like it was from 3G Mobile themselves (but it looked suspicious and I ignored it) The same happened again and again going through debt collection agencies such as Phillips etc.

The latest letter though is a real stonker. It looks like it is written on headed paper from the mobile phone company Telefonica O2 UK Ltd and explains that I owe £36.79 on an O2 mobile account and to please call a number
    "where a member of the O2 pre collections team at Lowell will be happy to discuss your query"
    Coincidence? I think not!! I never owned an O2 contract mobile which proves this is totally BOGUS!:mad:

The OFT is my next port of call.
    Got this letter today from RED saying I owe £153.47 on a O2 account I have never had a contract phone let alone with O2.
    It seems like a proper company that hasn't a clue and just sending out random letters to anyone.
  • pamelarose_3
    Options
    i too read the link above national debt line ....
    ive been receiving letters from Lowell for about 2 months at my address they are addressed to a MR XXXXXXX...the first name is correct but the sur name is not mine its my married name im now divorced and have been for 6 yrs, plus i am a MISS ??? ive opened the letters but not called them and dont plan too, they are now saying about red debt collection services and court, not sure really what to do as they are not addressed to me. does any one know where i stand legally ?????
  • wickenwoman
    Options
    I'm getting lots of phonecalls for a Mr L*** F****. I am not a Mr nor is my surname anything like his. Are Red/Lowell chancing their arm with this? I've read some not very good stuff about these comapnies and I am worried about ringing them.
  • hutch610
    hutch610 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Received call today left message for stepson. Yes he does have a debt. I have ignored it as he no longer lives here. Not upto me to tell anyone his new address, I dont know it any way. Any post I have opened, written on it no longer at this address please remove and sent back in same envelope with their address showing in window. Does anyone know if anyone will actually call to my address about this debt.
    :female:
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    hutch610 wrote: »
    Received call today left message for stepson. Yes he does have a debt. I have ignored it as he no longer lives here. Not upto me to tell anyone his new address, I dont know it any way. Any post I have opened, written on it no longer at this address please remove and sent back in same envelope with their address showing in window. Does anyone know if anyone will actually call to my address about this debt.

Not impossible, but unlikely.

If they do, give them a lecture on wasting your time and ignoring returned mail.

They will not be bailiffs, and have no legal rights to do anything.
  • sugarplum10
    sugarplum10 Posts: 236 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2011 at 8:34PM
    Options
    i got a letter from them last year regarding 2 3mobile accounts that were definately not mine. each time they called i refused to speak to them as it wasnt my debt, eventually they wrote to me saying that as a good will gesture they would write off the debt!!?? i just filed the letter incase this rears its ugly head again... ive never had a phone contract with 3?? they just generate these B*ll*cks claims for debt to catch out the less knowlegeable and bully them into paying the debt!!!
    it makes me so :mad::mad::mad:
    yes i have 6 kids by two different fathers, but Im the parent that is there for them ALWAYS!! :A
  • bristolbird_3
    Options
    Hello everyone and thanks for this great forum,i am not sure if i am posting in the correct place,as i am new,please correct me if i am wrong.I also had a letter from Red 3 days ago demanding payment of £1,350.00 in respect of Barclaycard,i have never had a Barclaycard or a Barclays bank account,so i have emailed them and told them this and asked them to stop sending any other demands.Lets see what happens.

I had a bad time some years ago when i lost my husband and had some debts which i am still trying to pay off,the question i would like to ask is if i have been paying off debts for 6 or 7 years can i now stop paying,and if so how do i go about this?I noticed that one i have been paying since 2005.I am 65 years of age and this is a great worry to me and also difficult to keep paying with seemingly no end to the debt.I would be grateful for any advice.Many thanks.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hello everyone and thanks for this great forum,i am not sure if i am posting in the correct place,as i am new,please correct me if i am wrong.I also had a letter from Red 3 days ago demanding payment of £1,350.00 in respect of Barclaycard,i have never had a Barclaycard or a Barclays bank account,so i have emailed them and told them this and asked them to stop sending any other demands.Lets see what happens.

I had a bad time some years ago when i lost my husband and had some debts which i am still trying to pay off,the question i would like to ask is if i have been paying off debts for 6 or 7 years can i now stop paying,and if so how do i go about this?I noticed that one i have been paying since 2005.I am 65 years of age and this is a great worry to me and also difficult to keep paying with seemingly no end to the debt.I would be grateful for any advice.Many thanks.

Bristolbird - you may be better starting a new thread from the debt-free wannabe page. We can maybe look at the whole picture and see what your options are. Just briefly, if you're going to deny an alleged debt it's best to do that in writing, keeping a copy and sending it recorded. We suggest using the prove-it letter.

There's no chance this is an old Egg Card, is there? They have just handed all their accounts to Barclaycard.
  • mickymoos
    Options
    Hi all have received a call today from red debt as he was speaking he was eating lunch (good call) also as I was not at my business ask for my mobile no which my assisant would not give also asked what he wanted but could not hear with all the munching have been is business for 25 years and if i owed anybody they would ring me. When we refused to give anything away he hung up but he did know my name!! When I did 1471 the no was withheld
    I never deal with anybody that withhelds there no that means they have somthing to hide beware as I have been scamed in the last 6 months are they the same people !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure