Fence device to prevent cat and squirrel

twopennytwopenny Forumite
3.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
So I have a 7ft high fence at the back of the garden and I've put a bird box there. Didn't expect anything yet as it's a new garden from scratch but I've had a Coal Tit investigating daily.
My or the birds problem might be that occasionally the top of my fence is a route for a squirrel and a cat. I'm thinking black rubber car mats cut and stapled to make an insecure walkway for them. Don't think spikes would work.
Wonder if anyone had any creative ideas as to how I could get these critters to take a different route?

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Replies

• GangaGanga Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Shoot the cat ( ok I am only kidding ) the squirrel will not attack the birds ,I know as we have a couple who come along our fence and avoid the birds.
    Can you not place the birdbox on a pole away from the fence to give the visitors some security?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    I like cats Ganga but not particularly this one. We have 'issues' as she likes to spray my front door and is not friendly. However the battle continues.
    The gardens never been cultivated before now and the ground if full of stone, metal, brick from building some 20yrs ago so a pole is a major operation. And this is Covid gardening when you can get no extras available.
    That's the problem with just moving at this time. I got rid of all the bits I'd been saving for years and now.........
    Like you're comment at the bottom of your post. Someone told me my last garden was a bit overfull. I told them it took me 10yrs to achieve that

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If the cat is spraying, then it's not a 'she'. It may well be an un-neutered tom, possibly a stray. In which case if you can trap it, you should at least be able to get it neutered by the RSPCA although they will re-release feral cats. 
  • edited 2 May 2020 at 9:41PM
    twopennytwopenny Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 2 May 2020 at 9:41PM
    No, it's definitely a she. One of my neighbours cats.
    A 'she' that used to visit my last house also sprayed territory and she had kittens so don't think there was any doubt ;-)
    Strong scent helps if I remember. My porch smells strongly of Cedar oil. That works.

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can get rubber spikes to put along the top of the fence e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fence-Wall-Spikes-13-5M-40-5M/dp/B0046ZFBQI
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ganga said:
    Shoot the cat ( ok I am only kidding ) the squirrel will not attack the birds ,I know as we have a couple who come along our fence and avoid the birds.
    Squirrels will take nestlings. 

• lovehedgehogslovehedgehogs Forumite
    30 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I put up an electric fence when the world and his wife cats thought they could stroll through my garden. It doesn’t happen any more...... easy to fit. I tried the spikes they definitely didn’t work.