Anyone received invoice for unknown Domain/Hosting

About two week ago I received an invoice for about £10 from a company in London for a Domain. I emailed them and they said I had reserved a domain name, which I have never done and I told them so and they said they would put it in the hands of their collecting company.

Today I received another fictitious invoice for £250 from a company called Pipex.com headed Hosting which had been deactivated. This time I have decided to ignore it, but it occurrs to me that if these are scams (ie they take a chance hoping their invoice is approved without checking)these people must be using genuine addresses, otherwise they have no hope of getting paid ifthe scam works.

Comments

• Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AFAIK it's quite a popular scam. The address (and telephone number can be found from Yellow Pages/yell.com. The scammers then check if the domian name is available and contact the company saying that it is and 'there is a possibility' someoneone else may take that name - not untrue, this is always likely. However, the "nice" company will do you a favour and reserve the domain name for you but they must have payment by credit card (usually within 30 minutes as they can't hold it much longer.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Markyt
    Markyt Posts: 11,864 Forumite
    Pipex are a genuine company. Give them a call and check (but use the number on their website, not anything you might have on the invoice).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure