We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tulips...

Hi 
I planted my first ever lot of tulips which look amazing!! Slightly proud of myself haha
They didnt last very long and now the petals have all dropped off.
Is there anything i can do next time round to make them last longer? 
Do i need to dig them up or will they grow back again? 
Not very green fingered here so please help :) 
Viewed House: 29/02/2020
Offer made: 29/02/2020
Offer accepted: 01/03/2020
Exchanged contracts: 13/05/2020
Completed: 13/05/2020

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alas, they are short-lived beauties.  No need to dig them up unless you wish to divide a clump, but they're worth dead-heading once they start looking grim.
    I'm lazy, I don't dig up my cannas, dahlias, or gladioli.  As the great Dolph Lundgren once said - If they die, they die.

• DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We grow our tulips in pots, give them a good feed to start off, then another good feed when they're about to flower. We dry and pot up again September/October. The first year they look a bit under par we 'dump' them somewhere in the beds, by the second growth they are fully reinvigorated. A lot of them revert to their original form but still look good.

Grenage, we keep a couple of dahlias in pots and overwinter in the  greenhouse. Then if any of the dahlias left in the beds don't reappear, plant them out..._
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DiggerUK said:
    We grow our tulips in pots, give them a good feed to start off, then another good feed when they're about to flower. We dry and pot up again September/October. The first year they look a bit under par we 'dump' them somewhere in the beds, by the second growth they are fully reinvigorated. A lot of them revert to their original form but still look good.

Grenage, we keep a couple of dahlias in pots and overwinter in the  greenhouse. Then if any of the dahlias left in the beds don't reappear, plant them out..._

That's a good idea; I'd struggle to know what failed to appear out the front; I have a very.... organic gardening habit.  If I recognise the leaves as something I don't want, I'll pull it out.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    For tulips I now grow them in pots as they didn't do well or overwinter in the flower bed.
    The pots go under the garden bench until the foliage has died down. Pretty much a routein as Digger said.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport