Holiday to Lanzarote in November.

Options
We booked a holiday to Lanzarote with Hays Travel in Febuary. We paid a small deposit and decided to use Direct Debit to pay the balance. The first payment was £404.75 on the 24th of Febuary so there have now been 3 payments in total. The total cost is £3250. My dilema is do I stop the Direct Debit now and not lose any more money or continue to pay and hope the holiday goes ahead. I have tried to contact Hays travel but to no avail. Also my other problem is we go on the 12 November but our insurance expires on the 11th! Obviously we intended to renew the policy in good time but it seems now that any new insurance will not cover Covid 19 although the original one would. Does anyone have any information or ideas how this can be addressed?

Comments

• Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What are your cancellation terms?
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 April 2020 at 7:57PM
    Options
    November is ages away. 

In any case given this appears to be a package holiday so insurance not really relevant, if it still isnt safe to go the operator would cancel it with refunds as long as you have kept payments up.

Given their relative isolation from the rest of Spain I suspect the Canaries will be the first area of Spain to allow visits again, in my opinion.
  • tutandenid
    Options
    Thank you to the people who responded. The cancellation terms state I only lose my deposit ( £120)  if i cancel at least 70 days before the holiday. That's the 2nd of September before I need to act. 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plenty of time to wait and see. The canaries will be desperate to open as soon as they can, tourism is probably there biggest industry. 
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options

sharpe106 said:
    Plenty of time to wait and see. The canaries will be desperate to open as soon as they can, tourism is probablythere biggest industry. 

Lanzarote will not be rushing for international tourists.
    They have a very low infection rate and want to keep it that way.
    They will open slowly to locals, but it will be a long road for them to open to rest of the world.

New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sharpe106 said:
     The canaries will be desperate to open as soon as they can, tourism is probably there biggest industry. 
    Where isn't it ?  How long can tourism survive in some areas though without any source of income. 
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    sharpe106 said:
     The canaries will be desperate to open as soon as they can, tourism is probably there biggest industry. 
    Where isn't it ?  How long can tourism survive in some areas though without any source of income. 
    Word coming from Spain on my Spanish Hiking fb group is that Spain won't be opening its doors to foreign tourists this year.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Options
    Its very possible that this pandemic will go into 2021 but I think by mid year this year that things will somewhat return to normal when special measures are put into place 
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    Options
    It's very early to tell and tourism will need international agreements to function. There's a strong possibility that some places will open without allowing Brits, unless our numbers reduce substantially. Here's  an article on some of the thinking going on. Very little signs of agreement however.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52470019
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your only liability is £120, I would cancel. I would check and double check that you will get refund for the three monthly payments of  £404.75. You can always rebook later if you still wish to go in November. 
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure