Second Home

Hi, My tenants are moving out of my rental flat and I am told it is not a good time to try and relet my property.  Would I be able to claim a £10k grant as this is a business?

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You pay tax on the rental proceeds?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think the grant is only for properties that are subject to business rates (or would be, but for thresholds) and assume your rental flat is a normal residential property subject to Council Tax.
    If the tenants are moving out at the normal end of tenancy, then this is just bad timing.  You might as well list for re-let though as it will gain views (online) and may queue someone for once things all start moving again.  It is also possible that there will be someone who needs to move in the interim and that is still allowed - it is up to the letting agent to work out how to facilitate a 'socially distanced' viewing.
  • .bradders1983 said:
    Yes I pay tax on the rental proceeds
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If your agent told you not to relet it, get a new agent. Many are doing virtual tours or offering keys on deposit to self-tour. Even though it's a bad time to be moving, some people still need to move.
  • Vestraun
    Vestraun Posts: 191 Forumite
    No, rental flats are not eligible. 
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,428 Forumite
    In answer to your specific question, there is no £10,000 business grant available for property let on, for example, an assured shorthold tenancy. It fails the test that it is not on the rating list, and it is not, despite what you think, a business (for this purpose at any rate). There can be a grant paid to owners of properties let out as furnished holiday accommodation, on which rates are paid, or would be but for SBRR/RRR. Normal residential lets remain within council tax, the liability of the tenant.
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The answer to that makes no difference to the outcome - a residential flat isn't eligible for the business grant, and rental income doesn't contribute to 'self employed' income. Declared or undeclared rental income, the OP isn't eligible for anything.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback