Air Canada Problems

Options
We booked a group family airflight with Trailfinders to the US, via Canada at the end of July. Air Canada policy for refunds has changed and they would offer a token for 24 months, should the flight not go ahead, not a refund, as recommended by their Government, I understand. This credit token would need to be topped up by us if prices rise, but if they fall, there is no compensation.We do not know how we stand if they ceased trading and we are very limited by dates we can go, with grandchildren at school. I am shocked as I thought airlines flying from UK or EU airports had to adhere to our policies re right to a refund. Any advice would be appreciated. Forgive me if this has been covered as I am new to the site Thank you.We paid by credit card but are not, apparently covered by Section 75, as Trailfinders were middlemen. I thought that we had a cast iron guarantee for a refund with Trailfinders but am now worried as we spent a large sum for the flights.

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are Trailfinders saying?
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can't see why a Section 75 wouldn't work "middle men"  are someone who just takes the payment EG paypal, you don't buy anything from paypal.
    But with Trailfinders you buy the flights with them  and they buy it at a cheaper rate from Air Canada (that's how they make the profit.)

New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you cancelled the flights?
    Or have Air Canada/Trailfinders advised you that Air Canada have cancelled?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April 2020 at 5:14PM
    Options
    I can't see why a Section 75 wouldn't work "middle men"  are someone who just takes the payment EG paypal, you don't buy anything from paypal.
    But with Trailfinders you buy the flights with them  and they buy it at a cheaper rate from Air Canada (that's how they make the profit.)

I believe its because Section 75 protects you for supplier defaulting.  It would depend on what contract the OP has with Trailfinders.  But a lot of agents, their contract is to act as a booking agent.  Therefore, they have not defaulted, they fulfilled their contract in terms of executing the booking of the flight.  It is Air Canada that have defaulted, but the OP did not pay Air Canada with the credit card.

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but this has certainly been the case in the past with airline failures, and the advice at the time from MSE and other organisations. 

OP, did you book anything else with Trailfinders at the time?  Car, hotel etc? If you did, you have a package and therefore extra protections.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have read  the Ombudsman has ruled that if flights are bought in this way a consumer should be directly told that Section 75 doesn't apply.
    This is because the average person wouldn't know the difference  and would be expected to be covered.

New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure