When should the Credit Card Compay refund for Thomas Cooke flights when Edreams won't respond

in Credit Cards
4 replies 151 views
PLHWPLHW Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Last year I booked flights through Edreams (7th September) for Thomas Cook flights to Turkey on 23October. Subsequently Thomas Cook went bust, I tried to get a refund from Edreams, but they just keep on saying we are waiting for a resolution. I contacted bank to ask for refund as paid by credit card (RBS) and they asked for all the details, then after three months said I needed a letter personally addressed to me from Edreams saying they are unable to assist with refund. no further update from either companies, what are my rights as it has now been 6 motnhs can I insist the credit card company refund me, or go to ombudsman?

Replies

• digalumpsdigalumps Forumite
    179 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    My understanding is that if you had booked direct with Thomas Cook then you would have had a claim against the card company

however you didn't - you booked via a third-party ie e-dreams and therefore you have no claim against your credit card

If I am wrong perhaps somebody can correct me

If I am right then your only recourse is to get eDreams to refund you or if you suspect they have had the money from Thomas Cook and are not forward it on to you then sue them in the the small claims court when the current lockdown is over
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yet another travel agent dragging their feet on TC refunds. Probably they never even paid TC in the 1st place.
    I would email Edreams and say "Are you going to refund me (enter amount etc)" if they do not reply after say 14 days that go back to card co with that email. 
    In effect Edreams are a Spanish co, although I think tied to Expedia. So they would have to reject any chargeback with a reason why they are not refunding you.
    Life in the slow lane
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I might be asking the obvious but have you approached your travel insurers? 
  • MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    MEM62 said:
    I might be asking the obvious but have you approached your travel insurers? 
    I guess not then.