Is it good to look back?

Just wondering if anyone has re-read the first thread they started or posted on .

I just have, and its amazing the difference that being on here can make in just a few months. :eek:

I just want to say thank you:smileyhea
PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
xx
DFD 5/1/16

Comments

• taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    I have and it's totally amazing how much progress can be made...that's one of the reasons I love the diaries as you can see people who feel absolutely desperate and think they have no hope blossom and grow in confidence and that has got to be a real boost to people just starting out on their debt free journey to see that people can get through this .
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've just read the first three pages of my diary again - I would like to recapture some of that "newbie energy" again though! That would be fab!!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I say this everytime, but less than 6 months ago I honestly never thought that our debts would be paid off. I thought we would just be making minimum payments forever. Since that day in June, I have paid off 4 creditors and cleared more than 5k in debt.

It is good to look back on those 'dark' days and realise how far we have come.x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • meyore
    meyore Posts: 2,721 Forumite
    I've looked back to the first advice I was given-very good advice and I have made progress, however small. Its those small things that add up.
    :heartpuls :love: :heartpuls
  • I like to look back at how run down I was compared to how I feel now. It always amazes me that now we pay all our debts on time, rather than hiding them yet we seem to have more money now.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Yes - back when I could and I really can not believe the difference - thank god for this site!!
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I do look back and wonder where I used to spend the money - I've nothing to show for it. This year I've paid off nearly 50% and went abroad on holiday without adding anymore to the debt so where was it going before???

wine and pretty boots I think...
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Nov 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £1500/7000

Mortgage balance: £53705

• Just re-read mine! Oh the memories! :rotfl:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=95728
  • :beer:
    I thought it was just me, but realised that when i pay rent and electric, tomorrow they will be up to date:eek: :j

Taxi - i'm with you on that , I read the diaries aswell

Hypno - You've more energy than a spring lamb ,hope that re-reading the first few pages of your diary gives you a boost
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • I've just re-read the first thread I started and I got a bit of a lump in my throat to see how desperate and unhappy I was :o I honestly didn't think there was any way out for us, any way of fixing the huge mess we were in.

This forum (and a special mention here to the BR forum too :beer: ) has quite literally saved my life. We have a lovely fresh start to look forward to in the new year and it's all down to this wonderful place and the fabulous people here.

Talking of 'looking back', when I look back to the person I was a few months ago it actually makes me feel a bit sick tbh. The spending, the shopping without a care for prices or getting the most from my money, the sheer WASTE makes me feel very ashamed. But it also makes me 100% determined never to go back to that way of living again. Never again will I spend a penny more on anything that I don't need to. Never again will any finanacial institution make more from me than they absolutely have to. I work hard for my money and I'm going to make it work hard for me in future.

The DFW life-style - it's the future I'm telling you :rotfl:
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport