Had to cancel holiday due to affordability

Options
Hi, my partner and I were due to go on a package holiday with TUI on 21/06/2020. The final balance was due to be paid the 29/03/2020 and due to my partner being self employed and laid off work (earning no income and knowing that we were not going to get the self employed money till late June at least) we had no choice but to cancel our trip the day before our final payment was due as we knew we would need that money to live off. We had already paid TUI £400 (£200 each) deposit. Is there any way we can get our deposit back in a refund or worst case even a TUI voucher? We unfortunately cancelled before they advised that we could move our holiday to a later date and move our deposit due date. 
Also, is there any thing our travel insurance could do? 
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you cancelled your holiday because you longer wanted to or were unable to go because of your own circumstances, then whatever you are entitled to or owe will be in the terms and conditions of your contract. In my opinion the fact the holiday was cancelled at a later date by the tour operator would have no bearing on your cancellation.

You will have to look at the terms and conditions of your travel insurance to see if you are covered re forfeiting deposits
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How much was the balance?
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't want to be pessimistic but I think if the deposit was non refundable in the t's and c's then I think that is it.  I am no expert but have a vested interest in all this and reading (and learning) lots!    From what I can deduce, even if you are insured, if you cancel before they cancel you then it is deemed as being your problem.   If you took out insurance at the time of booking, there may be some clause which states you can reclaim in case of being laid off/redundant?   Check with them just in case.    
  • BEC1010
    Options
    How much was the balance?
    Was around £1200
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless you can get TUI to give you a voucher or refund you, then is little I see that can be done at the moment as you cancelled.
    It's possible you could you and get some of the money back if the holiday ends up being cancelled,  but it could be an up hill battle.

New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should look at the terms of your insurance policy, most cover redundancy as a reason to cancel but not all cover self-employed without work. Certainly, look carefully at the policy terms as that is the only way to recover your loss
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback