Boarder closure and change of plans. Should I be intitaled to return flights that were changed?

Options
I flew to Poland with now travel restrictions. By the time we landed they had said the boarders were closing in 24hrs. So next day i had to buy a £500 flight! Only one I could get back to UK before boarder closed and I was stuck. Should I be entitled to this money back? I was covered by insurance from Debenhams (rockinsurance) I feel this is out with my choice and why we buy travel insurance. Surley I am entitled to change of plans? 

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    An approach to your travel insurance provider would seem the appropriate action. Have you done this?
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What borders?  What passport do you hold?  Who is the "they" that said borders were closing?
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What method of payment did you use? Did the original return leg fly?
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• Penelopa.Pitstop
    Penelopa.Pitstop Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 May 2020 at 1:11PM
    Options
    fifeken said:
    What borders?  What passport do you hold?  Who is the "they" that said borders were closing?
    Poland gov said borders were closing on 15/03/2020 and all flights cancelled. Happened to me too. As soon as I landed on 13/03/2020, I bought new ticket to leave the country on 14/03/2020.  However, I chose to buy ticket to Frankfurt which costed below £100 and then to London using Avios.
    I put a claim for it and hotel in Frankfurt through Nationwide Travel Insurance. It was cheaper option than direct flight at £500. Nationwide says it may take 28 days before they look at my claim, so can't comment if I will be paid for this or not.

You should read your travel insurance policy and talk to the insurer.
    Lost return flight on or after 15/03 is another matter to deal with, directly with the airline. I put a claim to LOT to get refund. Still waiting for it.
  • Vahik
    Vahik Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was advised by the airline not to travel to Australia because the border would have been closed to all non-Australians by the time i get there. Am I entitled to airline refund?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback