Should I pay ?

Options
Hi all I'm new to this so hope this is right. I've got a holiday to Menorca booked in August, the villa is booked with villa plus and the flights booked separately with Easy Jet. My question is I've got to pay the balance for the villa at the end of May, do I pay this knowing I might not get it back. In the terms and conditions it states if it's not a package deal they don't refund. I have got travel insurance but it states if I'm offered an alternative, ie voucher, they won't pay out. The problem with having a voucher for next year is I have cancer and might not be able to travel and the insurance doesn't cover my medical condition. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Brett

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a dilemma many people are in.  The Villa Plus T&Cs say if you cancel 84 days or more before departure date then you only lose your deposit.  After that time the cancellation fee is a sliding scale up to 100% if you cancel within 14 days.  So you could cancel now and only lose your deposit, but that's a decision only you can make.

You could keep the booking and pay any balance due.  If they then have to cancel it then you will be entitled to a refund.

It's a similar situation with your flights, if easyJet cancel you get a refund.  If the flights go ahead you won't be entitled to anything.

If for example the flights were cancelled but the Villa was paid for and available, you may be covered under travel insurance but that would depend on your level of cover.
  • BRETT22
    Options
    Thanks for reply that's helpful to know, I was wondering what would happen if one was ok but the other not.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    how much was the deposit and how much to pay?
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• BRETT22
    BRETT22 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry for late reply. Deposit was £178 and £1675 to pay. Problem is flights are paid at £1380 and if I cancel the villa and the lockdown ends I'll have flights and no where to stay.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The trouble you have if you pay the villa and  the flights are cancelled you might find it hard getting your money back from the villa if they are accepting guests.
    Can only give you a personal opinion.
    I wouldn't pay the balance, then if flights start up and looks like your will go  and you still want to travel then I would look for accommodation then. 
    In the short term them will be much  more accommodation available than people to fill them.

New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure