Expedia won't refund my airfare

Options
I was supposed to travel to see my brother in China on 31st March returning on 15th April. I booked my flights with Lufthansa through Expedia. Lufthansa subsequently cancelled my flights and on their website it said I was entitled to a full refund and to contact my travel agent. I've now contacted Expedia 4 times and they are not giving me my full refund. They've given me an airline credit which is of no use. The best they've come up with is a refund with a £250.00 fee. I was of the understanding that a full refund meant I'd get the whole airfare back.  Can anyone tell me if I should be entitled to all the money back or if I'm just going to have to loose the £250.00. The fare I booked was non-refundable but I didn't think that would matter as the airline cancelled my flight. Thanks.

Comments

• Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You are entitled to a cash refund, and you asked why there is a £250 fee?
    You are right non-refundable only applies if you cancel.

How did you pay?
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• Kido250
    Kido250 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I paid on my Amex card.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Options
    I believe form what I read on here Amex card can be good about it, but I've had no dealing with them.
    I would contract them with all the info and see what they say.

• Kido250
    Options
    Thanks, I'm currently talking to Expedia who are going to send a request for a full refund but that it may take up to 8-12 weeks. I've pointed out that I've been trying to get a refund since the beginning of March when my flight was cancelled and they've now told me to wait a month and get back to them again.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Options
    If you paid Expedia then waiting for them to get a refund is nothing to do with you.
    If you do contact Amex could you let us know how you got on, as might help other people who paid that way.

• Kido250
    Options
    Thank you. I will. I'll also update with anything I hear from Expedia in case it helps anyone else.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it helps, customers booked directly with Lufthansa are currently being told refunds will be 6-8 weeks.

Whilst I would usually expect an agent the size of Expedia to refund you regardless of when the refund from the airline comes in, in these times cashflow is a massive problem for agents, big and small.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Options
    The agents should be explaining that although you shouldn't have to wait for the airlines to reimburse us, due to the demand we are asking customers to give us some leeway and cash refunds will take a bit longer.

Instead many of them at the start  said  no cash refunds vouchers only and now saying you have to wait for us to get the refund.
    If they had been honest from the start I feel they would have been a lot more goodwill towards them   

• jaydeegee1
    Options
    we are supposed to be traveling to New York on the 26th May 2020....we booked a flight and accommodation package through Expedia. What is the best route to take about recovering our full payments back.
    Full payment was paid in 2019...we have received no correspondence as yet from Expedia.. 
    Any help would be greatly appreciated..

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has your flight been officially cancelled?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback