Not eligible for SMP.. Maternity Allowance? UC?

Hi all,
Apologies if a similar thread has been posted elsewhere, or if this is in the wrong section.
I am in desperate need of some advice from those in the know; all suggestions gratefully received.

I am a student, due to complete my PGCE in the coming months. I am also pregnant.
I have accepted a teaching position, which is due to commence in September (dates TBC but going on term dates, it looks likely to be on 1st September 2020).
I believe my due date will be on or around 30th December 2020 and my maternity leave will probably start around 18th December 2020 (roughly when the Autumn term will end).
From doing my own research, I understand that I will not have been employed long enough to receive SMP whilst on maternity leave.
I have therefore started looking into Maternity Allowance - which I am already finding incredibly confusing.
I understand from Citizens Advice that 'You can usually get Maternity Allowance if you've been employed or self-employed for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before your due date. You’ll need to have earned at least £30 a week for at least 13 of those weeks'.

Assuming that the dates I have are correct, I will have been employed roughly 17 weeks in my new role before my due date. What I am now trying to work out is whether or not I have been employed for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before my due date. I was technically employed (albeit on maternity leave) in my previous role until 25th November 2019 (my official last day). According to my very rushed calculations, it looks like in the 66 weeks prior to my due date, I will have been employed for 25(!!!!!!!!!!) weeks - 1 week short of eligibility for MA - assuming that the weeks worked can be split over two or more jobs - can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case?

If I were to gain bank/zero hours contract employment over the summer, will this count towards by 26 weeks employment, thus making be eligible for maternity allowance?

Failing that - UC looks like my next option. Although I don't know that I could claim it whilst on (unpaid) maternity leave.... In any case, given that my partner earns around 2.3k, I doubt I will be considered eligible.

So, my questions are these: Can the 26 weeks of employment required prior to my due date in order to receive maternity allowance be formed from 2-3 different jobs? Does it matter if these jobs have zero hours contracts? And if maternity allowance is a no-go, what are the chances of me being able to claim for any other financial assistance?

With a mortgage of 900 a month, bills, council tax, loans etc... Plus one child already... I am really worried that financially, a second child without me being able to bring in any money at all, is simply impossible. :(

I would really appreciate any information or ideas as at the moment I am feeling totally defeated.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, the weeks needed can be from multiple jobs. My daughter changed jobs last year and shortly after changing jobs she got pregnant. She just missed out on SMP by 2 weeks but was able to claim MA because of the weeks worked with her previous job.

If you don't qualify then use a benefits calculator too see if you qualify for UC but with your partner's earnings of 2.3k you may not be entitled to much, if any. 
  •  If you cannot make up the weeks needed for Maternity allowance  use a benefit calculator see what you would be entitled to with one child then with 2 children. 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    With your partners earnings of about £2,300 per month, as you own your own home then it's very unlikely you will be entitled to any UC, even when you have your 2nd child.
  • Thank you for the replies.
    I've had a look on various benefit calculators and it looks like I could possibly receive around 30 quid a week in UC..  :disappointed:

It is so stressful. I realise that 2300 might seem like a relatively high salary, but our joint financial commitments (mortgage, gas, electric, water, council tax, house/pet/life insurances etc) total around 1500 a month.. which means that if we fully relied on his salary, we would be left with 800.. which would have to cover household expenses, both our phone bills, his credit card repayments, my car repayments, nursery fees... The nursery fees alone are over 200 a month for 2 mornings a week!... Aahhhhhh...  :s

Thanks for the advice, though. Hopefully something will work out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback