We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

French Ministerial Ordinance 2020-315 - Can I still claim on my Travel Insurance and/or Credit Card?

I booked skiing lessons, for the Easter holidays in Les Arc, that cost nearly £1,000.  
I cancelled the lessons on 18 March, and the company originally offered me a refund, minus a small booking fee, as per their T&Cs. 
They have reneged and stated: 
We have made the decision, in accordance with ministerial ordinance 2020-315 of March 25, 2020, to create you a credit note of the full value of your payment, to be used within 18 months from the day of cancellation of your activity. This credit will be valid for any activity or service offered by XXX in winter and summer. 
This booking was made direct with the provider, and I paid in Euros, so presumably this transaction is covered by French Law.  
This is a considerable amount of money and I would like my money back, and I am also not sure if I will be skiing next year.  
Therefore, can I claim the cost from my credit card, under Section 75, or on my travel insurance?  

Comments

• Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    Third Anniversary Photogenic 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 29 April 2020 at 5:53PM
    Try both
    S75 is about breach of contract but it under English law.
    The credit card company might try to get out of it saying you aren't covered,  but you can fight that if you want (and you will get help here if you want)
    Insurance I don't  know much about as policies vary so much so can't offer any advice  except to try.
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Your travel insurance will likely try and duck out of it by saying they've offered a voucher and they consider that equivalent.

I'd try a Section 75.   It's not fair that you signed up to a set of T&C's that they've decided just to change (with or without the backing of their Government).  If you have a copy of the T&Cs you booked under, and if you have anything in writing that they agreed to refund, I'd be going to my credit card provider.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.