Virgin media Digging up roads & pavements with no notice

Options
Hi,
quick question please.
Virgin Media (or rather their contractors) have closed the road outside my house while they are digging it up and laying cables of some sort.
They are working from 7.20 am until 20:00.
I DO understand that this is probably a good time to close roads, but they are working from very early until very late, and are quite noisy.
Not to mention the inconvenience of the road being closed.
What I was wondering is, should they have informed us? I did walk out and talk politely to them, and was told the road would "probably be closed all week".
Is there anywhere I can find out, or anyone I can ask, who might actually know please?

Cheers,
KAL

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 April 2020 at 3:41PM
    Options
    Are you sure this is planned work?

https://one.network/
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    Are you sure this is planned work?

https://one.network/

I'm not sure where the OP lives, but virgin are bringing out the next level of cable for their full fibre faster internet.  I got something pushed through the door and they are digging up the streets around me.
  • markthebad
    Options
    this was left after a week of disturbance. Shocking, no notice given. Very poor response from Virgin O2
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    this was left after a week of disturbance. Shocking, no notice given. Very poor response from Virgin O2
     Most people would be happy to be able to get super fast broadband via cable, what is wrong with the pavement ?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is not a "Consumer Rights" issue.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • boobyd
    boobyd Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    photome said:
     Most people would be happy to be able to get super fast broadband via cable, what is wrong with the pavement ?
    What,they left a car on the pavement?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you own that pavement?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    Options
    Unusual, as Virgin are very proactive when doing this a they usually letter drop. to not only warn, but also to entice new customers.
    Certainly did round here.
    Life in the slow lane
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    In theory, in England and Wales, a "promoter of works" (Virgin in this case) would need to give 3 months notice to the relevant highway authority (usually the county council or unitary authority) before closing a road. The authority can then impose conditions such as a requirement to give written advance notice to local residents or a requirement for advance warning signage prior to the works taking place (or both). 

If you have concerns about whether the works are being carried out in accordance with noticing/permit requirements, or whether the reinstatement of the public highway is to an appropriate standard, you need to report these to the Streetworks office of the highway authority. 

Unfortunately they'll be shut til Tuesday. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback