Voluntary Termination on Car

Options
I’ve requested a voluntary termination on my car, I’ve paid over half the value owed and they are accepting taking it back. I understand the issues surrounding covid-19 but they have said they are unable to collect the car currently and I should continue to make payments. That means I’m paying for two cars whilst one is sitting on the drive. Is there anything I can do other than keep making payments? 

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, they are pulling a fast one, just refuse to make any further monthly payments you are not legally obliged to and they know this. Tell them straight out, pandemic or not, your legal obligation to the vehicle ends on the day of termination.

Be aware though that you do have a legal obligation to look after the car whilst it's in your possession so you may need to keep it insured until they come to collect it but you mustn't drive it, just take it off the road and SORN it.
  • joeyg1988
    Options
    Good news! Managed to get them to suspend payments until the collection of the vehicle. Felt a bit like jumping through hoops though to get it! 
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 April 2020 at 7:58PM
    Options
    joeyg1988 said:
    Good news! Managed to get them to suspend payments until the collection of the vehicle. Felt a bit like jumping through hoops though to get it! 
    Thanks for letting us know. Clearly they know they haven;;t a leg to stand on but that doesn't stop them from trying it on. Just remember the golden rule though, do no sign anything the send you that may force extra obligations on you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback