Dental implants- implication of delay in process

I’m midway through having two dental implants. The actual implants were placed in early February and I was due to have an appointment last week for “exposure of implants”  Obviously, due to the current situation, this didn’t happen and I have no idea when my treatment may resume. At the time of making last weeks appointment my dentist was very keen that I didn’t delay that particular appointment beyond last week  as he said it may  cause issues.  Given that I was planning to attend last week I didn’t ask any questions about the potential  issues however  now I’m seriously concerned.  I tried to email the surgery concerned and I did receive a call back from a receptionist however to be honest I’m now more worried than I was before. She said she wasn’t really sure what the implications were other than the gum may have grown too far over the implants perhaps requiring small surgery to address and there may be “quite a bit more cost than planned”

now I am mindful of the fact that  it was only a receptionist that I spoke to but now I’m fretting about potential additional treatment not to say an uplift on the £5k that I’ve already committed to. 

Not looking for medical advice per see however would appreciate experience from anyone who has had this part of the process delayed previously. 




  • edited 27 April 2020 at 12:32AM
    ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 27 April 2020 at 12:32AM
    I'm not an implant expert, but I wouldn't have thought a few weeks delay would cause too much of an issue. I don't know the circumstances around yours though.

    The practice is obviously picking up messages, so I would just email them again, and say that the chat with the receptionist made you more anxious rather than less, and would it be possible for the actual dentist involved to contact you either by email or ring you to talk through any implications of delay?

    That will probably be more reassuring for you. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Thanks, I’d been thinking maybe an email request to speak to the actual dentist was the best option.  Understandably nobody knows if we are looking at a 3/6/9 month delay (as suggested in some of the local rags) to dentists reopening and it may be any “cosmetic” treatment is suspended indefinitely however I’m really hoping it’s simply a case that I’m stuck with the temporary denture until we start the process again and it’s nothing more significant than that.
  • scottishminniescottishminnie Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Just thought I’d update. 

    Finally managed to have an email discussion with the dentist. He says the exposure of the implant procedure will be a bit more uncomfortable and take longer due to the delay. He thinks if it’s done within 6 months that should be the only health implication. He’s not hopeful though that my treatment will recommence this year and is “almost certain” that the cost will be higher as the delay means the contract is broken and needs to be revisited. 

    Nothing I can do other than wait it out.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools