Changing a ceiling rose

Options
Hi all 
Apologies if I shouldn’t have started a new thread for this query, but I did have a search and couldn’t find any recent queries about this and didn’t want to bump an old thread. 
I have changed out an old white pendant ceiling fixture for a new black one, changing the ceiling rose at the same time. Initially when I changed it it appeared to be working, but now won’t turn on. I also changed the light switch on the wall but that was very straightforward with only 2 wires so can’t imagine I’ve done anything wrong there! 
I live in a fairly old house, so the ceiling fixture has 3 earths, 3 lives, 2 neutrals and a switch live, which I identified with tape before I took the old rose down. I’ve now connected the earth and live into terminal blocks on their own, not connected to anything to preserve the loop, and then connected the 2 neutrals to the neutral from the new light fitting and the switch live to the live wire from the new fitting. This all seems to be correct from what I’ve seen online.

First picture is new fitting, second picture is original rose that was there.  

Basically my question is - a) is this wiring correct and b) is there another reason the light wouldn’t be working? The other lights on the same circuit upstairs work so I know I haven’t blown anything in the fuse box..  

Any help or advice much appreciated! 

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 April 2020 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Was it working before you changed the light switch?

Show a picture of light switch wires etc.

3 Plate Loop-In Method Connections Explained for Wiring a Domestic
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bethh_ said:
    Hi all 
    Apologies if I shouldn’t have started a new thread for this query, but I did have a search and couldn’t find any recent queries about this and didn’t want to bump an old thread. 
    I have changed out an old white pendant ceiling fixture for a new black one, changing the ceiling rose at the same time. Initially when I changed it it appeared to be working, but now won’t turn on. I also changed the light switch on the wall but that was very straightforward with only 2 wires so can’t imagine I’ve done anything wrong there! 
    I live in a fairly old house, so the ceiling fixture has 3 earths, 3 lives, 2 neutrals and a switch live, which I identified with tape before I took the old rose down. I’ve now connected the earth and live into terminal blocks on their own, not connected to anything to preserve the loop, and then connected the 2 neutrals to the neutral from the new light fitting and the switch live to the live wire from the new fitting. This all seems to be correct from what I’ve seen online.

First picture is new fitting, second picture is original rose that was there.  

Basically my question is - a) is this wiring correct and b) is there another reason the light wouldn’t be working? The other lights on the same circuit upstairs work so I know I haven’t blown anything in the fuse box..  

Any help or advice much appreciated! 

Forgive me for pointing this out, but if you are not competent to be doing this work then you should contact a competent Electrician.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You say you changed the switch at the same time - is it a two-way switch, even though your light is only one-way.  If it is a two way switch it needs to be connected live in on C(ommon)  switched wire out on 1 or 2.  Not connected between 1 & 2.
  • nofoollikeold
    Options
    1. Provided the black cable connected to the brown wire is the same black as originally connected to brown, then it should work, as you have replicated the wiring exactly.
    2. If your new switch has L1, L2 and COM terminals, you should connect the incoming red to COM, and the outgoing black to L1 or L2.  If you have connected red to L1 and black to L2 or vice versa, it won't work.  
    3. You should really put a bit of brown tape around the red coming back from the switch, as it will be live when the switch is on. Its for the benefit of anyone coming along looking at the wiring after you.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hasbeen said:
    Was it working before you changed the light switch?

Wiring seems a bit odd ? Red is usually live?

Show a picture of light switch wires etc.
    Not if it is the switched live, although it is normal to put a bit of red tape round the black wire to indicate that is what it is.

The red wire would be used to take the live to the switch and the black used to bring the switched live back to the fitting although, as I say, ideally marked in some way!
  • Hasbeen
    edited 26 April 2020 at 5:48PM
    Options
    Risteard said:

Forgive me for pointing this out, but if you are not competent to be doing this work then you should contact a competent Electrician.
    Risteard. Totally agree. 

But it is about changing a light and switch. This is a DIY forum and sometimes rather than pointing out you always need a sparky to do anything.  Then any advice would be appreciated.

You are an electrician?? So you have seen the pics. What has the poster done wrong? Any useful advice??

Edit spelling LOl
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • bethh_
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments, wasn’t expecting so many responses so quickly! 
    Turns out I had wired the light switch upside down, with red into L1 and black into ‘com’. Fixed that and all working fine! Typical that it was the simplest bit I managed to muck up! 
    Thanks again your help everyone - stay safe 😁
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad you got it sorted.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 April 2020 at 5:23PM
    Options
    nofoollikeold said: 3. You should really put a bit of brown tape around the red coming back from the switch, as it will be live when the switch is on. Its for the benefit of anyone coming along looking at the wiring after you.
    Wiring regs state that the colour of a conductor should not be changed (before our resident pedant jumps in). Ideally, the cable should be changed to a twin brown & earth, but that is not always easy or practical.
    Personally, I prefer a short length of brown sleeving to highlight the switched live where it is impossible to run a new cable. Tape has a habit of losing its stick and may well fall off over time.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Hasbeen
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    nofoollikeold said: 3. You should really put a bit of brown tape around the red coming back from the switch, as it will be live when the switch is on. Its for the benefit of anyone coming along looking at the wiring after you.
    Wiring regs state that the colour of a conductor should not be changed (before our resident pedant jumps in). Ideally, the cable should be changed to a twin brown & earth, but that is not always easy or practical.
    Personally, I prefer a short length of brown sleeving to highlight the switched live where it is impossible to run a new cable. Tape has a habit of losing its stick and may well fall off over time.
    Great that Op has resolved problem without help from the Resident Pedant?? Is there one? This is a DIY forum so unless the resident pedant? who I presume is expert at this? Do not know?? But presume they could help where applicable on simple problems that most people encounter by owning property? We are not talking about complete rewires here? My opinion only but why frequent a DIY site if not to give advice and help? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback