Help! Unfair Negative Feedback From Suspected Shillbidder

Options
Hi

Before bidding on an item, I emailed the seller to ask whether he would agree free collection since he lived a couple of miles away and he did. On winning the auction, I emailed to arrange collection but he change his mind and wanted full postage for the item. I referred him to earlier communication and he gave numerous excuses why he could not stick to his side of the bargain. In his communication, he contradicted himself many times therby raising my suspicion about him. On closing inspection of his profile, I noticed that a very similar username to his was bidding on his auctions to up the price of his goods. This identity and his not only had similar usernames but also came from the same area and had very similar listing styles even down to the spelling mistakes. However, the winning bidder didn't notice this and in fact posted positive feedback. This and the fact that he was very difficult post-auction made me think he was untrustworthy and that I could no longer proceed with the transaction. He has now posted negative feedback. What can I do? Please advise. Thanks.

Comments

• frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You're stuck with the neg, but if you're confident in your suspicions, report him to ebay for shilling and leave appropriate feedback.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • wurley
    wurley Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a matter of interest. I pointed out to ebay that private auctions were an easy target for this kind of bidding. They weren't interested. I also pointed out several businesses selling as private buyers. guess what, they weren't interested.:confused:
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    wurley wrote: »
    I also pointed out several businesses selling as private buyers. guess what, they weren't interested.:confused:

Why would they be?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • powertron
    powertron Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    wurley wrote: »
    As a matter of interest. I pointed out to ebay that private auctions were an easy target for this kind of bidding. They weren't interested. I also pointed out several businesses selling as private buyers. guess what, they weren't interested.:confused:

Ebay are all for Shill bidding.

That's probably one of the reasons why they have private auctions, to help protect their shill bidding sellers who make them a lot of money.

I never bid on an auction with private bidders, what is the seller trying to hide?
  • rockinrodders
    Options
    Sometimes I use private auctions on ebay, but its not for fraudulent purposes. Its to stop other sellers either spamming or trying to drive away my potential customers to their auctions.

More than once when I have been selling on open auctions, especially when Im selling popular techie goods like laptops or ipod for example, the highest bidder has emailed to make me aware that they had been contacted by another user who offered to sell them the same item cheaper.

I prefer to buy from private auctions, particularly when shopping for xmas presents because nobody can be nosy and see what I have been buying by looking at my feedback history etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure