New Post Advanced Search

Avanti train ticket refund

3 replies 113 views
CAB5050CAB5050 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Have been trying to get a refund of £280 for train tickets purchased to travel to London 22/3 but govt advised not to travel that week due to Covid 19. Live chat advised me to return tickets by post, which I did and got proof of posting. Have chased several times and was told refund had been offered by live chat and be patient.  They are now saying they haven’t received my tickets so can’t refund. I have a screenshot of the conversation that  just says return by post . They didn’t advise to return by tracked delivery but are now saying I should have done as they can’t trace them.  I am going round in circles and getting nowhere as they ignore my questions and just keep repeating the same thing.  Please help as need to escalate this further, can’t afford to lose such a huge amount of money.

Replies

• KeithPKeithP Forumite
    22K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, from a consumer rights perspective it is your responsibility to return the tickets.

Not something you'll want to read, but with a value of £280 perhaps you should've thought a bit harder on how they should be returned.
  • edited 12 June at 5:58PM
    markyb33markyb33 Forumite
    24 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 12 June at 5:58PM
    Since you were advised by Government not to go out. Why would you go to a Post Office to send tickets back by recorded delivery and put you and members of the NHS at risk ? Normal post should have been fine. I think the reality is they had no staff at the address to receive mail. Did you ever get a refund ?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you get proof of posting (which is a free service)?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)