Taskers help

Hi this is my first post so hi!:j
Just wanted some advice please!
I ordered a dining table from Taskers on Sept 9th. I was told delivery would be in 4-6wks(this is also written on the receipt) since then, i have been on the phone constantly getting fobbed off saying it'll be here soon,at the beginning of November i was told it would be here by the end of the month but suprise suprise, it isnt here!:mad:
I have been told i can get a refund but i just want my table and if i went and ordered another one now,the chances are it wont be here in time for christmas.
What i would like to know is have Taskers entered into a contract by writing on the receipt that the item would be here in 4-6wks. Also where should i go from here-its been 12 weeks now!!!!!!!!
Thanks for listening:o
Kerry

Comments

• codger
    codger Posts: 2,079
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sadly, the ball's in your court. Even if the table isn't in your dining room.

Time has been identified as the "essence of contract". So as the commitment to provide within the specified time has not been fulfilled, then that upon which the contract hinges has been broken.

You're entitled to your money back. If you want it.

You're equally entitled to go on waiting. If you wish to.

The choice is yours -- though remember: promises of a refund are one thing; receipt of a refund, another. I've known companies mess around for up to 60 days, returning the monies owed to a customer.

Any chance you can go back to Taskers and find an alternative table that is confirmed to be immediately available?

No, it's not an ideal outcome. Especially if that which is available is considerably more than that which you're still waiting for. (Though in those circumstances, it's well worth haggling.)

I wish I could be more positive. Unfortunately, I've seen too many situations where people in your position have been told to "demand their rights" and "get the refund!" without those who give that advice having the faintest knowledge of just how long refunds can, and do, take.

The only other alternative I can think of is to get Taskers to provide a specific, guaranteed, day of delivery. If they do so, that'd be a step in the right direction. And, of course, you can always threaten them with a demand for a refund + interest on the monies they've taken from you and kept (though again, I've encountered cases where this has happened but the refunds have arrived without interest because the company concerned has calculated that its customer is unlikely to go to war over that.)

Thanks for making me aware never to order anything from Taskers. Good luck!
  • lfckerry
    lfckerry Posts: 122 Forumite
    Thanks Codger!:beer:
    I thought that might be the case. I have asked them to confirm a date but they said they cant. its highly frustrating but i might try going to see if they have any other suitable replacements!
    I will still probably still write a letter of complaint!
    kerry
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Go to the top of the company, not the bottom (or middle).

I'm not entirely sure which Taskers you're referring to -- the Taskers on Merseyside, or the Taskers in Accrington: they're quite different companies -- but you'll find details of head honcho names and addresses on the 'About Us' sections of the two websites --

http://www.taskers.com/Info1.asp?Key=10

http://www.taskersonline.com/about_us.htm

(If it is Merseyside, you're probably onto a winner: John Tasker has a very high profile in Liverpool. Sorry but I've no knowledge of the Accrington company.)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport